• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glover St, Aston. (Boatmen)

Sparkhill Boy

master brummie
I have acouple of distant relatives living in Glover St in 1881. I noticed that there seem to be a number of boatmen listed in that street. Is there a canal nearby to that location? I can't find Glover St on any of the old maps I have looked at.
Neither can I find any pics.
Can anyone help please.

Graham.

I think if my memory serves me right was down by Fazley st of Gt Barr St it would have come under Aston at that time but now comes under Bordesley.I think it,s the Grand Union canal that is close by the street is still there i believe. Dek

Thanks Dek Carr. I have just googled it again and found Glover St still exists and indeed crosses a waterway. However it seems there are a few houses still existing but appear to be a little nicer than those that would have been around in 1881.
I would still like to see some older pictures if possible.

Graham.

Hi - not sure if either of you are still picking up messages off here, but my husbands great nan lived in Glover St in 1901 and her husband was listed a boatman on it. Any help would be appreciated. Laura

Hi - not sure if either of you are still picking up messages off here, but my husbands great nan lived in Glover St in 1901 and her husband was listed a boatman on it. Any help would be appreciated. Laura

sparkhill boy has not been on the forum since 2017 and as dek carr has got...gone but not forgotten under his user name this signifies that the member has sadly passed away

lyn

My rellies ran a coal yard in Glover St in the late 1800's - its off Watery Lane and runs right alongside the cut

Back