• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glassworks New John Street

galleeson

On one of Mike's map of New John Street I noticed a Glassworks behind numbers 58, 61 and 62. Do you know the name of it and who owned it?

Recently, you found me a Samuel Robinson (born 1809) who bought The Rose and Crown at 71, Weaman Street at auction in 1848. His father, Samuel Robinson senior (1781-1853) was a glass blower/ glass maker who lived in New John Street for a number of years (starting in c. 1807 to at least 1820 and living in Steelhouse Lane by 1838 ).

By 1851 Samuel Robinson senior and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Smart) had moved in with their son, Samuel (age 42) and his wife, Sarah (age 46).On the census they are living at 71, Weaman Street where Samuel Robinson (senior) died in 1853.

Samuel Robinson 1781–1853 Glass maker/Glass Blower
BIRTH ABT 1781 • Edgbaston, Warwickshire, England.
1802 Marriage to Elizabeth Smart (1802 St Bartholomew's Edgbaston )
1807? or before - to at least 1820, based on their children's baptism records, Residence; New John Street
1838 Residence; Steelhouse Lane
1841 Census; Residence; Steelhouse Lane
1851 Census; Residence; The Rose and Crown Inn, 71, Weaman Street, Birmingham
DEATH 1853 • The Rose and Crown Inn, 71, Weaman Street, Birmingham
1853 Church of England Burials,, Feb 20th, 1853 age 75, for Samuel Robinson burial Birmingham, St Mary

I read that glass blowers in Birmingham could have a pretty tenuous employment history, moving from place to place. However, Samuel Robinson (senior) glass blower/glass maker, seems to have been fairly stable. He and Elizabeth Smart had six children. He also had quite a long life for a glass blower. His burial record says age 75. I read that long-term exposure causes glass-induced asthma due to particles of nickel oxide.

I have looked for the owners of Glassworks in Birmingham but, although the name Smart is famous in the Birmingham glass making world (may just be co-incidence). I cannot find a Robinson. Any ideas?

Thank you for such a swift reply, Mike.
Sterenberg's Glassworks might well have been where Samuel Robinson (1781-1853) worked.
I cannot find any more information about this particular glassworks on the web.
As I said, he and his family seemed to live in New John Street for some time.
The puzzle that is keeping me awake is where did his son, also Samuel Robinson, get the money to buy 71, Weaman Street at auction and why a pub?

Sterenberg ddid not exist pre ww1. , though the immediate area (no 58) seems to have been associated with the glass industry earlier , in glass etching and engraving , or for a glass mould maker. In 1855 no 58 was occupied by Jesse Matthews, glass bead, button & toy inakr. glass quicker & bender. In 1845 Jesse Matthews is also listed as a chandelier furniture manufacturer (the numbering had changed and building was then no 27)

Back