• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Girls Friendly Society

They had in the 1913 directory two addreses
GFS Miss E Nottelle Diocesan Lodge 79 Church St and
GFW Golds Hill Road Handsworth

Hi, I'm looking for more information on the Girls' Friendly Society. My grandmother seems to have been a member around 1911. She kept some photos and postcards from Dunsley Home of Rest, Kinver, which appears to have been run with nurses and a matron around that time. Does anyone have any information on Dunsley or the GF Society?

Hi, I'm looking for more information on the Girls' Friendly Society. My grandmother seems to have been a member around 1911. She kept some photos and postcards from Dunsley Home of Rest, Kinver, which appears to have been run with nurses and a matron around that time. Does anyone have any information on Dunsley or the GF Society?
Found some infor on the Girls Friendly society's here:

In May 1914 The Home of Rest for the GFS at Kinver Celebrated its 25th anniversary with a collection for outstanding
debt. Last year (1913) it cared for over 500 of the poorer members of society.

It is referred to as Dunsley House, Kinver.

Found some infor on the Girls Friendly society's here:

I know my grandmother visited here in 1911, she was aged about 19 by then but she was orphaned, losing her mother when she was 4 and her father when she was about 12, perhaps that's when she first became involved in Dunsley...? She lived with her grandmother.

Back