• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

german girl finds memories ofher grandfathe in WW1r in Birmingham

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is on a website, Europeana, which tries to give access to documents and memories from WW1 from all countries to a European audience. As long as you ensure you are clicking on English as a language, then subtitles appear where German is spoken. The short film records a girls search for information on her grandfather and finds something in Birmingham.

https://remix.europeana.eu/

What a great link Mike! There must be so much that can still be uncovered like this. I expect having friends from the 'other side' would mostly have been covered up by families. But this shows that young people now are prepared to dig deeper in their history. Hope the Europeana project gets lots of interest. Thinking of posting some info with them myself. Many thanks for the link. Viv.

A very interesting site Mike, thanks for posting , I have now gone on to related sites I did know about .Paul Satcey

Thank you Mike :adoration: What a heartwarming story - a prisoner of war risking his own life to save his enemies and his great granddaughter visiting the UK many years later to find out more about him. I have added the site to my favourites.

There were very many stories from WW1, in which enemy soldiers aided each other at various times, far more than WW2, one I particularly remember hearing when in the army was at the battle of "Cambrai", I believe, when stretcher bearers came across a shell hole with a British Guards Officer, who was lying severely injured with his left hand blown off, and a dead young German soldier with mouth clamped around the officers stump, clamping the arteries shut saving his life. The German had been badly wounded in the stomach, nearby the officers revolver was found not far from his right hand. It is pure conjecture whether he had shot the young German, before passing out, were the lad was sheltering in the shell hole, or that the lad was wounded, and knew he was dying and helped to save the young officer from bleeding to death.? Nice to think of the second.!!

Back