• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Thomas BULLIVANT, 8576, Worcestershire Regiment

MILLS

master brummie
I'm here again.

Another Birmingham man who received the Military Medal.
Unable to find any of his papers and no clues as to birth, death or where he lived.
All I have been able to find is that when he was reported wounded in September 1915 he resided in Shirley.
Again when he was wounded in 1916 he resided in Birmingham.
His MM was gazetted in October 1918 and this shows again he resided in Birmingham.
When he was wounded in 1916 his age was given as 24 yrs and the nearest I can find suggests 1890, for a man born in Colchester and died in 1940 in Solihull.

It would be nice to find something that links this man to these dates. I've tried newspapers to see if I can pick up a report on perhaps his award of a Military Medal but so far nothing other than he was awarded it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He marries an Edith Woodward in 1917, marriage certificate may have relevant information.

In 1921 he is living with in-laws at Kennell Mount, Hasluck's Green.

He marries an Edith Woodward in 1917, marriage certificate may have relevant information.

In 1921 he is living with in-laws at Kennell Mount, Hasluck's Green.
MWS,

Thank you for that.
This ties in with my assumption, but is he the man who won the MM?

David

Parents were living Stratford Road, Shirley in 1911. Father was an army pensioner, Royal Artillery.

Parents were living Stratford Road, Shirley in 1911. Father was an army pensioner, Royal Artillery.
MWS,
I came to the decision that this was my man because his father was a serving soldier in the 1891 census. I am trying to find him in the 1911 census but no luck so far. He went to France in November 1914 with the 2nd Battalion? His number suggests 1904/05 so he could have been in the Reserves, but no trace. He doesn't appear to be in the 1st or 3rd Battalions so I will need to trawl the 2nd and 4th Battalions census.
He received his MM with the 3rd Battalion.
A newspaper article might provide the necessary information to tie everything together.
Appreciate your help to date.
David

MWS,
I came to the decision that this was my man because his father was a serving soldier in the 1891 census. I am trying to find him in the 1911 census but no luck so far. He went to France in November 1914 with the 2nd Battalion? His number suggests 1904/05 so he could have been in the Reserves, but no trace. He doesn't appear to be in the 1st or 3rd Battalions so I will need to trawl the 2nd and 4th Battalions census.
He received his MM with the 3rd Battalion.
A newspaper article might provide the necessary information to tie everything together.
Appreciate your help to date.
David
Now completed a search of all 4 Battalions 1911 census finding no mention, so can only assume he was not picked up on the general census.
Does anyone out there have access to the local newspapers who could help please? I have been through those on Findmypast.
Thank you.

According to the medal rolls he was in both the 2nd and 3rd battalions although it does not give any dates
1658842189073.png

Last edited:
Now completed a search of all 4 Battalions 1911 census finding no mention, so can only assume he was not picked up on the general census.
Does anyone out there have access to the local newspapers who could help please? I have been through those on Findmypast.
Thank you.
The problem is that the British Newpaper Archive scans of Birmingham papers stops in 1915 - so 1916 to 1919 are missing.
The only George Bullvant who comes up in 1915 is in a different regiment.

Correction - it seems to depend what you search for so will have another look.

Last edited:
I'm here again.

When he was wounded in 1916 his age was given as 24 yrs and the nearest I can find suggests 1890, for a man born in Colchester and died in 1940 in Solihull.
On the 1901 census the George son of George and Harriett (in Woolwich barracks on the census) has age given as 11 and place of birth Colchester.
1658843365792.png

George T also appears with them on 1891 census.
Which links George T to the parents who lived in Shirley.

If someone has access to "fold3" then there might be information on the pension record card
View attachment 171960
Janice,
According to the medal rols he was in bothe 2nd and 3rd battalions although it does not give any dates
View attachment 171959
Janice,
The Fold3 pension card only shows the MM notation, but does have a date on the back, 24 Aug. 1937. Unfortunately not been able to tie this to any event.
He went to France with the 2nd Battalion on 11 November, 1914. Not the first draft so may have been in a different Battalion previously.
Probably transferred to 3rd after being wounded in 1915.
Yes the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census' are what pushed me to this George Thomas Bullivant. I am trying to find a snippet of information to close it.
Sometimes you never do.
Thank you for the time effort you have put into my man.
David

Haven't given up yet. I am a Shirley girl so his parents probably knew my gt grandparents who also lived on Stratford Road in 1911.

If you know his Regiment & Number - you could look on the London Gazette - it may give details as to why he was awarded the MM

What might confirm it is if he is on the Solhull absent voters list for 1918 (depends when he left the army) but that is not online. Can be seen at Solihull library but don't know if they have a copy service.

MWS and pjmburns,
I finally tracked his 1911 census down he was with the Worcesters at Norton Barracks, HQ of Regiment.
Thanks for all your hard work.

David

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
What might confirm it is if he is on the Solhull absent voters list for 1918 (depends when he left the army) but that is not online. Can be seen at Solihull library but don't know if they have a copy service.
Janice,

Just found his 1918/1919 census, Stratford Road, like his parents, confirms his number etc along with his two brothers who were in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
Job done.
Thank you.
David

Janice,

Just found his 1918/1919 census, Stratford Road, like his parents, confirms his number etc along with his two brothers who were in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
Job done.
Thank you.
David
Do you mean the eroll?

Haven't given up yet. I am a Shirley girl so his parents probably knew my gt grandparents who also lived on Stratford Road in 1911.
Just as a matter of interest the Bullivants and my gt grandparents lived a few houses either side of the Saracen's Head pub/hotel on the Stratford Road so probably would have known each other. Especially as the Bullivants ran a shop.

Just as a matter of interest the Bullivants and my gt grandparents lived a few houses either side of the Saracen's Head pub/hotel on the Stratford Road so probably would have known each other. Especially as the Bullivants ran a shop.
Janice,
Small world.
What's "eroll"?
David

That gives his place of birth as Birmingham not Colchester.
Janice,

Yes, but having trawled through the Worcester's rolls I'm reasonably confident it's him. I'm assuming it says Birmingham because that's now his home town, but it's certainly not a definite.

David

Janice,
Of course didn't engage brain.
Yes in Ancestry under census "Midlands ".
David
I am confused as Shirley would not come under Birmingham e rolls.
I have this entry for his brother which is Stratford Road but I don't think it is in Shirley
1658932240846.png
I can't find George nor his brother,

Last edited:
I'm here again.

Unable to find any of his papers and no clues as to birth, death or where he lived.
All I have been able to find is that when he was reported wounded in September 1915 he resided in Shirley.
Again when he was wounded in 1916 he resided in Birmingham.
His MM was gazetted in October 1918 and this shows again he resided in Birmingham.

It would be nice to find something that links this man to these dates. I've tried newspapers to see if I can pick up a report on perhaps his award of a Military Medal but so far nothing other than he was awarded it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies, I typed a lengthy post about a family of Bullivants known to my father, but upon further checking, they do not appear to be the same family. Was unable to delete the post.

Last edited:
Back