• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Richard Hinton - Royal Horse Artillary

• Thread starter Thread starter mand
  • Start date Start date
M

mand

Hi,

Can anyone give me any info on George Hinton,

My Ggrandfather was a gunner in the Royal Horse Artillary, his regimental number was 138966 . but this is all I can find, I have this from his medal card, the roll is RHA/107 with a B above the 107 and page 1568. Info is the same for Victory and British medal. There is no field of war recorded. . I know he survived gasing but this effected he rest of his life. But I would love to be able to find out more about where he was, which battalion he was attached to.

The only other info I have is a postcard sent with the RFA emblem on the front. (unable to read the frank to get an idea of date)

Mand

An Address would give us a clue or what area did he live and did he have brothers..........as I have a few on record

Sorry - all a bit new to me.

36 Jardine Road, Aston was parents address during and after the war, so presume it was just before as well, but definately Aston born and bred.

He was born 1890.

As far as I am aware he was an only child.

His name is George Richard (fathers name George! they know how to confuse you these ancestors).

Does that help?

Only Hinton I have in the R.H.A & R.G.A is a... A.Hinton
who lived 136 Florence Rd Smethwick
Another lived at Howe St Ashted and another Ledsam St Ladywood
So you would do well to check the electoral roll at Brum Library which would tell you who lived in the house at the dates you check

definately at Jardine Road 1918 and 1920, next time i'm there i'll check earlier dates.

Can you find anything from his regimental number (138966)?

Mand

Yeah! did it! another first!

Well done! The lack of anything in the Star column suggests joining up after January 1916. The lack of anything in the Theatre of War column suggests he may not have gone overseas at all. I will put some of these details on the Great War Forum tomorrow to see if there is a RGA expert who can help further.

Mand

The 1918 Birmingham Absent Voters List has Gunner George Richard Hinton, No.138966, living at 247 Nechells Park Road.

Terry

Hi Alan,
Thanks, pretty sure he was in the trenches and survived gas attacks, although this effected his health and eventually led to his death in 1939.

Hi Terry,
Ooops, that was his wifes family address (and where the postcard was sent) far more people living there than Jardine Road as he was an only child. Thank you - another piece of the puzzle.

Mand x

Probably not relevant to your research, mand, but I have information on a Hinton family (Charles and Charles Frank) who lived in Thornhill Road, Handsworth in the 1890s and the next generation, Percival Frank b.1896 (and served in the Great War) and Herbert Maurice b.1904.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have only just started researching the family tree, and do not have much info on our Hintons, I know that George Richard was born in 1890, married Alice B Perks, his parents were George (b1856) and Harriet (b1860) They had a sweet shop in Jardine Road. In the 1901 cenus they lived with George's brother William Hinton (1842) and Ellen Bull (1847). and thats all i've got.

Does this tie in with any of your info?

I thought Hinton was an unusual name, til I started this can't believe how many George and Harriet Hinton lived in Birmingham at the same time:(

Mand

Thanks, Mand. The Hintons are rather peripheral to my family tree; it was a great aunt of mine who married into the Handsworth family So I have nothing except a bit on the four people I mentioned. If in your further reseach they start to become of interest, let me know and I'll pass on what I have.

Chris

Back