• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George E Stephens died WW1 14 /10/1917

• Thread starter Thread starter Marlene
  • Start date Start date
M

Marlene

Hi
George Stephens was born in Aston Birmingham in 1878 appears to have married Fanny Unknown pre 1901 and went WWl and died aged 41 in 1917 on the European Battlefields.
3 matters arise ;
1. Did George and Fanny have any children? She lived in Alum Road while he was away.
2. Would there be a memorial anywhere in Aston for him?others?
3. Alberta helpfully answered telling me that Fanny was Fanny Gertrude Lucy Dudley. Please Alberta how did you know this?
Many thanks
Marlene

Stephens - George

Hi Marlene:
you could check the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to see if there is a memorial for him.
the site is: www.cwgc.org
Good luck
Isobel Burlton-Wells

Thanks Isabel done that. I just thought there may have been a local memorial stone in Aston remembering those who gave their lives. We have them all over the place here in New Zealand as gates to a park, memorial stones on hills, outside museums, libraries etc.
I was hoping a local could tell me if Aston had a similar one.
Thanks
Marlene

George Stephens WW1

Marlene,

There is a large Hall of Memory in Birmingham, near the Town Hall, Iknow you can't get there, but perhaps one of our site members would do a look up for you. I will try and find out about access, I believe they turn a page every day, but my memory is a bit hazy.

George E Stephens

Thank you so much. I'd appreciate anything so if you or someone else happens to be in the Hall Of Memory and can forward any little gem I'd be delighted.
Thanks again for the thought.
Marlene

Hi John
Will sit down this pm and have a browse myself as well...do appreciate any help -George is the most recent rellie I have found !! And unfortunately he had died! And I don't know whether he had any children!
Thanks for he idea.
Marlene

Kia ora Sylvia
George was Private 23670 in the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshires. He married in 1901 I think to Fanny Gertrude Lucy DUDLEY. She lived in Alum Rd while he was away. I don't know whether they had children. He was 41 when he died in 1917. That's about my lot except to note his parents were Sarah Ann & William Stephens both deceased when he went off to War.
George's mother was a sister of my great grandfather.
Regards
Marlene

Hi John
Love your sense of homour by 2012 I might be pushing up daisies!!
Thank you for the mention in the Book of Remembrance I do appreciate it. Unfortunately Stephens is relatively common as a surname and I am coming forwards to the year 2004 rather than researching back from what you know in a normal geneoalogy senes. My great grandparents came to NZ in 1878 from Brummie land and I have been attempting to find their rellies for years, gathering a snippet here and there!
Cheers
Marlene

George E. Stephens

I went to the Royal Warwickshire Regimental Museum today, and the museum attendant was most helpful, unfortunately I gave him the name
Stephenson and he couldn't find your relative.however, next time I go I
will have another look.

I was told they don't keep records of individual servicemen but they do hold the following:-

War Diaries
Soldiers who died in the Great War 1914-1918 and casualty lists
There is a charge of £10 for research enquiries including 20 photocopies.

There is also a website which I haven't looked at yet www.warwickfusiliers.co.u

Sorry I messed up this time, but will take all the right information next time I go, which may be quite soon.

George E Stephens

Hi Sylvia
Thank you for a wonderful surprise - I have just come home from the Intensive Care Ward where my mother was admitted at 5 this am.!!
If you are visiting again I'd be grateful for any little snippets but most especially I want to know if George had any children from his marriage to Fanny Gertrude Lucy (Dudley?) so maybe I could trace desecendants.
George is the son of my greatgrandfather's sister Sarah Ann Stephens nee Ward and her husband William.
Thanks again - in great haste
Marlene

Regarding a Great War Memorial for the Men of Nechells their is one not sure if it mentions Aston as well it is located at Stuart Street of Nechells Park Road,as soon as you enter Stuart street it is on the right hand side behind steel railings.
I went to see it last year to see if it was still their and it was.
Its a shame hardly anyone knows its there

Kia Ora Cromwell
I am sure there are lots of memorials for the Men of the Great War whoo died in action- and it;s case of knowing where they are!
I'm sure some wil be able to visit or perhaps someone wil be able to photograph it - with the names clear one would hope!
Regards
Marlene in New Zealand (with no apologies for taking the gold medal in the Rugby 7s!) ;D

:angel: Marlene, If you try this link and email David, he is willing to travel around the Nechells, Aston and central areas of Brum and often takes pic's for people by request.
https://brummages.blogspot.com
Hope this helps good luck.

Glad to see NZ is doing well in the games

Chris :angel:

Kia Ora Chris
Love your KIWI! Many thanks for that link to David - I'll give that a try if he doesn't mind!
Any time we take a medal from the Aussies is a time of National Celebrations!
See ya apopo!
Arohanui
Marlene

I went and took a photo of the War Memorial, erected for the men of Nechells there are no mens names on it which is a shame and I bet hardly anyone knows it there.It is a tall monument in the shape of a stone cross with engraving on the bottom the railings prevent you taking a full photo

Hi Cromwell
My that was fast! I see your work had been viewed four times before I got to look so no doubt there will be some interest in your work.
What a pity there are no names!
Thanks very much indeed for your efforts.
Marlene

There are " Rolls Of Honour" in Local History 6 th floor Birmingham Library of Birmingham Firms employees, but only of firms that adopted their " Roll Of Honour " if that makes Sense.

The names are in alphabetical order in the First World War Roll Of Honour at the Hall Of Memory. It gives the Surname , Initials , Rank and Regiment, it may be possible to see the name dueing a visit there.

Thanks!I have been told about this but the main information comes from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. I am really trying to find if George Stephens had any chidren and therefore there might be some descendants.
If only I wasn't 12,000 miles away!
Cheers
Marlene

:angel: Hi Marlene, I know that feeling very well ... being 12,000 miles away!

However the members on this site are great at helping find info' and doing look ups. Thanx guys

Chris :angel:

Marlene the ref for George's marriage to Fanny Getrude L Dudley is March quarter1901 Aston 6D 311. Good luck in your search for his children.

Hi Everybody
Many thanks for your help everybody. I have George & Fanny's marriage cert. I know he was killed in WW1 and that Fanny lived at 787 Alum Rock at the time. George was Private 23670 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt.formerly 188821 Royal Engineers. In 1901 he was a wood machinist but I have no idea where he worked. He had a brother Arthur Henry.

MY PROBLEM is that I don't know whether he had children between 1901 & 1917!
There's a George Ernest Stephens born about 1911 from memory . Mother Dudley! I applied for the cert. - wrong parents! So I tried Ethel Maud (my grandmother's Christian names and GE's cousin) - wrong parents!
I'd love to know more as my great grandparents were both witnesses at George Ernests' parents wedding in 1874 and then they emigrated to New Zealand.

There doesn't appear to be any Stephens/Dudley children born after 1912 and before George died in 1917.
I guess I'll just have to try every Stephens birth between 1901 & 1912 and gradually eliminate them!! :tickedoff:
Back to the Drawing Board!
Thanks again everybody.
Marlene

Back