• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Dixon Grammar School for Boys

Keith Bracey

Brummie Bard
I went to George Dixon Grammar School for Boys 1969 to 1976 and was in the Danes (blue)House. I also played rugby for Dixonians Rugby Club from 1975 when I was a Colt until I ruptured my patella tendon playing soccer ⚽️ in 2004 (funny never had any serious injuries playing rugby )so nearly 30 years a Dixonian. The club doesn't play any morevas Covid did for us. We used to play at Wassell Grove in Hagley and the 1970's and 80's were a particularly successful period for the club winning 3 North Midlands Cups. I was quite academic at school and in 1975 when I was 17 I was entered for the Oxbridge Entrance Examination and was coached by history teacher Geoff Sandercock (who had played Minor Counties cricket for Devon) and I passed the exam in history. I wanted to read Politics, Philosophy and Economics at one of the oldest Oxford Colleges Worcester College (where Aussie newspaper tycoon Rupert Murdoch went) Sadly there were 9 places and 13 candidates and I missed out. The fact that I didn't go to Public School counted against me! In 2006 George Dixon Academy as it's now called celebrated Italian its Centenary (founded in 1906) and the late Lawrence Reading and David Housley wrote a book celebrating that fact with the title "100 Years at City Road". David Housley went to serve the school for 38 years rising to Deputy Headteacher having replaced John Endall, the Geography and Economics master in 1975. I can happily say that my school days were the happiest days of my life and George Dixon Grammar School made me what I am today a published poet and writer, journalist and former broadcaster on Sports Radio Birmingham Please read my Birmingham and Black Country poetry history heritage and sports related musings on my Bracey's Bostin Bearwood Blog at

https:keithbracey.wordpress.com

My first book of verse "From Bearwood and Beyond" is available from Amazon.co.uk

Keith Bracey Old Dixonian and Birmingham writer and poet

hi keith we always that before starting a new thread that members use the search box first in case we already have a thread for that subject..in this case we have a lengthy thread for this school...click on link below

Back