• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

General Dealer (Rag & Bone)

wilkesmaggie

knowlegable brummie
Hi there,
My Great Grandfather, Harry Taylor, is listed in the 1911 census as a General Dealer and next to it is written Rag & Bone. He is listed as living in Apollo Terrace, Asylum Street. Does anyone have any info on him/his place of work? Maggie

Hi Wilks
According to the book of streets ayslum street would have been asylum rd
which was later classed as summer lane
It states an asylum for poor children was founded in 1797 and sited in summer lane neibourhood
it was suported from the poor rate and could accomadate 343 boys and girls
it was closed and dismantled in 1846
But the name Asylum road continued in use, before the building was put up,
This road was called Bread lane
best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Thanks for that Astonian. I don't know what happened to Harry or when he died. Just hoping that someone has info on his Rag and Bone job. Oh how I wish I asked questions when I was younger!!
Maggie

HI WILKO
If there was any older generation of the kirbys family was still around they could have told you
because there fore fathers started a rag and bone merchants in summer lane
even today the old kirby family would not be able to tell it would have been there grand fathers
the oldest member would not have been born then in that generation
even the great mr senior flight whom had a yard on victoria rd was a rag and bone ma n
before is garage bussiness on victoria rd
best wishes ASTONIAN ';;;;

Alan were the Kirby family from Deykin Avenue originally? only they were rag and bone merchants. Jean.

Hi maggie
The 1912 Kelly’s only lists an Asylum road, so it must be this that your ggfather lived in. It ran from summer lane to Newtown row as seen on the c1913 map below. As you don’t live in birmingham , to get your bearings, the “Inn” at the top of the map is the Barton Arms, which is still there, though google insists on marking it as the building which was the hippodrome (just to the south east, by where it says “ward bdy” on the map). I have tried to determine where Apollo terrace was from the 1901 census, but have had to admit defeat, as the enumerator seems to have pursued a devious course. It is definitely not another name for Hartington or Gladstone places and all I can think of is the row of buildings just to the right of Gladstone place, but there don’t seem to be enough houses on the map for the number on the census.
Mike

asylum_rd_c_1913.jpg

Thanks for you help, Astonian. I'm trying to find out when he died, but there are a lot of Taylors in Birmingham and there are several with the same christian names - makes for difficult searches! I am going to have to visit the records office for a lot of the info I need me thinks. That's another holiday taken care of.
Maggie

Thanks Mike. I've been researching the other side of the family in Frome, Somerset and the census enumerators there had a weird way of working too! I just wish they could spell, as well. I'll keep plodding on though.
Maggie

Hi maggie
The 1912 Kelly’s only lists an Asylum road, so it must be this that your ggfather lived in. It ran from summer lane to Newtown row as seen on the c1913 map below. As you don’t live in birmingham , to get your bearings, the “Inn” at the top of the map is the Barton Arms, which is still there, though google insists on marking it as the building which was the hippodrome (just to the south east, by where it says “ward bdy” on the map). I have tried to determine where Apollo terrace was from the 1901 census, but have had to admit defeat, as the enumerator seems to have pursued a devious course. It is definitely not another name for Hartington or Gladstone places and all I can think of is the row of buildings just to the right of Gladstone place, but there don’t seem to be enough houses on the map for the number on the census.
Mike

Mike, I checked a 1904 Kelly's but cannot find Apollo Terrace.

No Ernie, it doesn't seem to be listed. The odd numbers were on the south side. The order on the 1901 census goes 1, 3, 9, 11, 13. back 13 ,back 15, 15, Spring place (2 houses), 21, Apollo Terrace (numbers 2-12), 25, 27, 6, 8, back 8, back 10, 10, 12, back 14 (4 houses), 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, Gladstone place. Etc. Apollo terrace should be on the south side, but I just can’t find the where the houses of Apollo terrace nos 2-12 are. The 1891 census is similar. I think that Apollo Terrace must be some sort of tenement which must be the long building marked in red
Mike

View attachment 47066
asylum_rdA_c_1913.jpg

Hi Jean
yes they are all aston born and they had also had a yard in summer lane then they moved to farm street
and the grand father was a copper but emigrated. there was a lot of whispers about him
saying that he must have known some think wen they was naughty
so he sailed into the sun srt of aussie land
by the way jean how are you and pete making out keeping well i hope have you seen sandra lately
i went to see joyce phillips last week but she as moved some-where else
i still look out for young edna . and doreen but i cannot find them
give my regards to pete and sandra . best wishes Astonian ;;

I have just looked on my old map of Birmingham dated 1913 and Asylum Road is still there. At the end of Summer Lane, there is a slight bend in the road and that after the bend is called Alma Street. Asylum Road went from that bend to High Street, Aston/Newtown Row (not clear where one ends and the other begins. Shortie

Thanks John . It means Harry Taylor must have had to move out pretty soon after the 1911 census, as the c1913 map shows Apollo terrace built over.

Hi to you all,
Can I just say a big thank you to you all for your help. I am on several Family History sites and have always found the people so helpful.
There is much for me to learn about Birmingham. I know there is still family there, but the only two I know are very elderly, and don't seem too keen on looking back at the past. So I have to look else where for answers. Again, THANK YOU.
Maggie

Hi,

My G Grandfather James Weston was a General Dealer in Essex Street on the 1911 census.. He lived in Gooch Street from 1920 to 1939 (Except 1935) listed at #36 on the Electoral roll.
The childrens birth certificates born between 1917 and 1928 state they were born at 72 Kent Street. Does anyone have a map that shows the proximity betwen 72 Kent and 36 Gooch.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,
Go to mapseeker.co.uk. On the right select Historical Atlas of Birmingham from drop down box under search for streets. Then key in your streets. There are plans for several dates. Or go to Genealogy Map Rescources from the home page. Hope you find them.
Regards
Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for the help. I had a look on mapseeker and Gooch and Kent st. intersect so I'm a lot clearer about things.

Now if only I had a time machine!!

Steve

Hi Steve

I just wish I could have got information out of my father before he died. He wasn't very forthcoming about the family.

Happy Hunting

Maggie

Back