• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GENEALOGY

R

Rod

Starting Out

Start out by asking all those relativesmums and dads aunts uncles brothers and sisters what they know of your mom, dad, grandad, granny, etc etc etc. Make notes. The amount of information you collect could become overwhelming, so try to store it carefully. Get a good genealogy book from the library, there are some excellent ones available which will give you some great pointers.
If your going to use your computer to store your family tree, there are some brilliant programmes you can use, some of them are free.
I use LEGACY
https://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Click the above link it will take you to the site, you can get a good free functioning copy of the programme at this address. If you like it you can upgrade to the fully functioning version sometime later for about 12 quid? I used the programme for two years before I upgraded. There are many other programmes available.

Last but not least, as you have seen by the previous posts, people will help you with look ups. If you live in the locality of your search you can access records at the central refrence library archive, in Birmingham.

Best of luck with your search, good hunting

Back