• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gas Street / Holliday Street

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Nice photo's of Gas Street. I love to walk round there now. My son has a friend who lives in the apartments around Brindley Place very expensive. There are some nice bars and restaurants.

That looks like a vast improvement (to me) on the previous Register Office. Thanks for posting Ell. Viv.

Yeah it is Viv. All modern round here (with little old bits left around like the aqueduct bridge nearby).

It's nice inside too I went there last year to pick up a birth certificate. We have our own gem too John Yates he is such a help when finding if we have the right certificate...legend!

My great, great grandmother Kate Blackwell died at 242 Holliday Street in 1891, so it's amazing to see the street's still there.
What kind of place was Holliday street like in the late 19th century? Pretty grim I can imagine as she died when she was just around 42/43 years old.

Hi there ;
yes very impressive pics of the transformation of both gas street and more so of holiday street
but as anybody got any pics of the old gas street and especialy holiday street
when it was just deserted and the streets was just old cobbled streets and very quite to walk up there such as the early forties and fifties and only the public works yard was only up there before they removed those old blue bricks i have memories of walking up there and with the bridge wih the crest on ;have a nice day astonian

Hi Astonian, will these do?

Phil

CityGasStreet.jpg

CityGasStreet2.jpg

CityGasStGasRetortHouse.jpg

CityGasStreetSign.jpg

Looks all very nice and modern (?) but I preferred it as it was, may be its the painter in me as I spent many happy hours in the early 1980s painting Gas St basin and surrounds, doesn't appeal to me now. Suppose thats thr price of progress, or maybe I live in the past. Eric

HI Phil;
many thanks for those magic pictures and for my magic moments of nostalgal in my mind of memory
phil; i hope you are keeping well and i wish you all the the of health in 2012
Eric ; it does not do any harm to relive or even in in the past ;; you are not alone
nor do i like the moderen day of those streets to see how they redelevoped it with those building and i did not like the new registry office
over 12 months ago i went to brad street reg only to find they had moved i did not like it one bit ,
still thats progrss for you ; all the best eric for tenty twelve astonian;;

Back