• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Galton Street, Smethwick

Flea56

Brummie babby
A relation of mine, William Spencer Sibley and his wife Mary appeared in the 1911 census at living at 7 Galton Street, Smethwick working as a Dairyman. I cannot see that Galton Street exists now - is this correct?

Never heard of Galton Street but Galton Road run from Hagley Rd, alongside The Dog public house to Abbey Road. This may be classed as Bearwood but remember Bearwood has never been a postal address - its Smethwick, despite BBC/ITV local news calling it Bearwood, Birmingham!

Never heard of Galton Street but Galton Road run from Hagley Rd, alongside The Dog public house to Abbey Road. This may be classed as Bearwood but remember Bearwood has never been a postal address - its Smethwick, despite BBC/ITV local news calling it Bearwood, Birmingham!

Galton Road in 1911 would have been in Oldbury not Smethwick. Did not become part of Smethwick until 1929 with boundary changes. I suspect Galton Street was somewhere near Galton Bridge and the present railway station of that name.

You are correct David. Map from c 1905 attached. Comparing to Google maps, i think it is just about where Chatwin St is now

Galton_st_map_c_1905.jpg

Thanks Mike for that information. I have studied your map, an old A-Z and Google Maps and I think it has been renamed at some stage to Fenton Street. You have to take Google Map right to largest scale to pick this up. Galton Street was between Chatwin Street and the cul de sac Draycot Road and this fits Felton Street on the current map. If you look at street view there is a Victorian terace in Fenton Street which must be the ones shown on you map as Galton Street.

Yes you are right David. The 1950 Kellys shows it as Galton st, and the 1955, 1956 editions just say "now known as Fenton St"

Thanks for the update guys thats brilliant - getting that little bit closer to piecing this all together. thank you again.

Back