• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

G E Thompson - Sports cartoonist

Tacitus

master brummie
I am attaching 2 cartoons of local sports teams by an artist named G E Thompson. One was in a previous thread in this forum and the other is from my own collection.
It was said in the earlier thread that he worked for the Sports Argus. Can anyone say if that is true or if not which newspaper he might have worked for?
Additionally does anyone know what his full name was i.e. what the G & E stood for, or anything else about him?
Thanks if anyone can throw any light on this obviously very talented man.

Attachments

• WBb.jpg
    WBb.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8474c.jpg
    IMG_8474c.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
I am attaching 2 cartoons of local sports teams by an artist named G E Thompson. One was in a previous thread in this forum and the other is from my own collection.
It was said in the earlier thread that he worked for the Sports Argus. Can anyone say if that is true or if not which newspaper he might have worked for?
Additionally does anyone know what his full name was i.e. what the G & E stood for, or anything else about him?
Thanks if anyone can throw any light on this obviously very talented man.
I'm afraid can't add to your information merely adding a third cartoon, this one Olton Ladies Hockey

Attachments

• Screenshot (138).png
    Screenshot (138).png
    217.6 KB · Views: 8
Do we have any idea of a date?
Norman Edwards seems to be the one drawing similar pictures in the Argus during the 50s and 60s
1718814859296.png

Last edited:
Do we have any idea of a date?
Norman Edwards seems to be the one drawing similar pictures in the Argus during the 50s and 60s
View attachment 192584
1st and 3rd were both early '60's. The cricket one was at the Solihull Rover ground. The ladies hockey one in Olton. I wonder if The Solihull News is a link. The News always gave good publicity to amateur sports.

Back