• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Funnels

• Thread starter Thread starter tor6869
  • Start date Start date
T

tor6869

Hello all.

Wonder if anyone can help me out, i was driving home along Green Lane the other night, and it got me to thinking about an old shop i used to go in as a kid. It was called Funnels, or at least that's all we ever knew it as. It was run by MR & Mrs Funnel, and they used to sell all sorts of things, from Meats to sweets.
Has anyone else got any memories of this shop, or even better, a photo.

Thanks all......Tracey :)

Hi, yes i do remember Funnells Shop, I used to live in Green Lane and went
to Little Green Lane school with the Funnells daughter named Cheryl, I always thought she was very lucky to be living in a sweet shop!

I remember going in funnels when I was kid with my nan, Mr Funnel was always nice and friendly, as a child I was fascinated with the meat slicing machine on the counter, before leaving the shop I was allowed to choose some sweets and occasionally I would buy a lucky bag.

I remember going in funnels when I was kid with my nan, Mr Funnel was always nice and friendly, as a child I was fascinated with the meat slicing machine on the counter, before leaving the shop I was allowed to choose some sweets and occasionally I would buy a lucky bag.

the meat slicing machines always fascinated me too....had to be very careful not to lose any fingers

lyn

Only experienced people were allowed to use the Berkel slicing machines at Wrensons. I was not, but then I was only just sixteen. Even then they managed to get at least one hospital visit now and again! :eek:

Back