• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Friendsreunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylviasayers

master brummie
Does anyone still have a full subscription to this site? I have had a message today but can't reply as I let my sub. lapse. I would be grateful if someone could send a message on my behalf. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks Sylvia

Hiya Sylvia
I've still got a valid subscription. P.M. me the details and i'll do the rest O0

Thanks Postie I have sent you a message.

Folks this is just another example of the wonderful people on this site, a reply offering help within 6 minutes of posting.

I  dont have much money left in my bank account til payday........PM me if anyone can help ::)

Thanks for that info willow, a friend of my brother contacted me through friends reunited some time ago asking if I was his sister and if so to pass his email address to him, but he forgot to enclose his email address, and me not being a paid up member could not reply, but now I have contacted him, and hopefully they will make contact, so thanks again.

Ive just gone back- guess what - Gens is free too ( or at least they gave me what is described as a free member )

I was on Friends this week and I tried Genes but that was not free although it gave that impression on Friends. I have had a few messages from friends on Friends this week. Just renewed by membership in Feb as well.
I hope the next time I try genes it is free as well. Mo

Someone contacted me see my Family Tree. She has just got back to me and it looks like we are related. Her tree is on Genes but as I don't have a membership I can't look at it and she doesn't know how to send it to me any other way. Any suggestions. Thanks.Mo

You can acces the site for free and carry out a search but you cannnot send messages unles you pay up - if anyone knows differently I will demand a refund.

Someone contacted me see my Family Tree. She has just got back to me and it looks like we are related. Her tree is on Genes but as I don't have a membership I can't look at it and she doesn't know how to send it to me any other way. Any suggestions. Thanks.Mo
PM sent Sakura

Friends reunited is totally free now, ive been sending msgs an getting replys, as for genes im not sure as i dont use that part of the site

Yes friends is definately now free to send and receive e-mails, i got an e-mail from old school pal yesterday shes in Switzerland and i successfully sent one back. The first time i was able to do this as i Don't pay for this site although i do pay for Genes.

You may have read on May 14th someone on Genes contacted me as they thought we were related.
Thanks to Bernie for his help, we now know we are in fact related. Our great grandfathers were brothers. Isn't that amazing. She sent me a scan of the marriage certificate for our great, great grandparents.
Today I have sent her a lot of photos taken of relatives back in the 1800's which she has never seen.(the photos) She sent me a photo of my her great grandmother who was my great grandfathers niece.
I can't tell you how exciting it is and her mother is thrilled. On the weekend they are having a family get together so she taking the photos to show everyone.
Thanks Bernie for making that possible. Mo

Last edited:
Good news indeed Mo. A piece in the family puzzle has been aced and it is
very exciting indeed. Last year I found a piece of our family puzzle through this site. Quite by accident and I now have a distant relative on my Father's side whom I will meet when I next visit Birmingham. I haven't done a lot of family genealogy so this was a real bonus.

Thanks for posting.

Sakura I am so pleased for you. The same thing happened to me although it was four years ago. The lady in question actually lives in Reading but her parents live in Sutton so when she came to visit them we met up. It was very exciting and like you I now have lots more photo's as does she.

It is hard to believe Wendy, now I wonder how many more relatives we have out there. I'm really not very good at the research but I must try harder on all sides of our family. I have always wished I had a large family but moving 3,000 miles makes it smaller if you know what I mean. We really miss our relatives and friends in England but on the other hand we love our life here so you have take things as they come.
My grandmother on my mothers side had a huge family but once everyone was married and the war came there was never the get togethers. Of course I don't remember the get togethers as I was born at the end of the war.
I think you are good at the research Wendy so I may have to ask your advice when I get stuck. Mo

Thats great Sakura, I too have exchanged photos with long lost relatives, I sent one relative a photo of my great great gran who was her great great grans sister and she said it bought a tear to her eyes because she looked just like herself, so it is very satisfying, and of course it is lovely to see what our ancestors looked like.

You are very kind Sakura I am only self taught although I try to research things myself and when I get stuck I ask. I have been extreamly lucky on my Dad's side as I now have many photo's but like you I often wonder how many more are in a drawer somewhere. I have a distant cousin in Canada who I met through this hobby.We contact each other often and she tells me stories of where she lives. If you need any help the people on here are quite amazing with their help. My son has just returned from a buisness trip to America while there they went over the boarder to Canada. He has just called in to have his hair cut, I asked him what it was like his answer made me laugh........it's just like England only everything was bigger!

I think I know what he means about being bigger, it is just that there is so much space so the roads are wider. Going into Toronto on the 401 highway there are 6 lanes going in each direction and in some places far more. At intersections another one or two on each side and that is a total of 16.
Building are nearly all new so they are big and getting bigger. Hope he liked it.
He would have found the same thing in the States depending where he was.
Small world now isn't it? Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back