• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Stringer

fudge

proper brummie kid
Hello, my ancestor, Frank Stringer, lived at Charles Henry Street, in 1881, and was a fancy pearl worker. His wife was a shop keeper. On the census form, it says that their address was a sweet shop. I'm wondering if the sweet shop had a name. Also wondering if Frank Stringer's business had a name? Thanks, fudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 1880 and 1883 directories there is no mention of a frank Stringer. There is a John Stringer at 89 Charles Henry St, second hand cloths dealer. don't know if he might be related. there is no shop in the street listed as a sweet shop, but a lot with the inhabitant just listed as shopkeeper, which could mean sweet shop.
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for looking that up, Mikejee. In my notes I have John Stringer (Frank's father) living at 89 Charles Henry Street working as a clothes dealer. Did you find another one on New Charles Street?

thanks again,

thanks mikejee, I think I have it straight now. John Stringer resided on Charles Henry Street, but his business was on New Charles Street. Was there a name for his business? thanks for your help. definitely keeping my neophyte moniker for now, still lots to learn. overwhelmed by all that is on this site and how knowledgeable everyone is.

Back