• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Knights Coal Wharf

Don Clive

Adopted 'Tammie'
Does anyone remember Frank Knights coal wharf in Chester Street, Aston, it was situated at the junction of Chester street and Aston Brook street, it was a real coal 'wharf', inasmuch as the the coal was delivered to the wharf by canal. It had it's own canal 'arm', also stabling for horses that were hired to the working boat owners to pull the 'Butty' up the remaining five locks of the Aston flight to the junction and the long 'pound' before 'Farmers Bridge' locks. One of the reasons I'm enquiring is my long term school friend Charlie Long lived with his mum and dad in a real cottage within the coal wharf, and if he's still with us I'd like to get in touch one more time. Don Clive

Thanks Rupert, I've looked at the map, and Aston Brook St is marked on it, though not named, thats where I was 'born and bred'. You can also see the cottage in the top R.H corner of the wharf, so it's obvious been there many years, gone now though. We always called those gas works on the other side of the canal 'Avenue Road' gas works, thats a thread I'd like to start, since as a youngster during WW2 I had a regular job on a Saturday fetching sacks of Coke for us and neighbours, thanks again Don Clive.

Don i think you will find those gas works are known as Windsor Street Gas Works as the offices were in Windsor St. Dek

Don, if you click on the map picture; where you click will come to centre. that way you can move around on it. Click on Aston Brook Street where it goes off the map and it will bring the name to centre. You might be able to see where your house was possibly. Just keep clicking untill you get there.

Back