• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Harold Newton Marson: Royal Warwickshire Regiment/RFC

• Thread starter Thread starter derynf
  • Start date Start date
D

derynf

Can anyone help me to flesh out Frank's career in the forces? He enlisted in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, and landed in France on 21st November 1915. He would have been 17 in 1915, so may have told a lie about his age if he'd joined a year or two before!

According to some info I was given, he started off in the '14th Platoon' (should this be battalion?) then was transferred to the 16th Bn (3rd B'ham Pals). The TNA medal card index page showing Frank's details in brief indicates he was promoted to 'Serjeant' in the Anti-Gas School while with the Warwickshires. Presumably, this was before he was mobilised? Would he have been a trainee or a trainer at the School and if the former, what exactly was he being trained to do?

It looks as if he was then seconded to the Royal Flying Corps, at some point, attaining the rank of Second Lieutenant, and then went on to become a full Lieutenant by the time the RFC became part of the Royal Air Force. He was discharged on the 12th September 1918.

He enlisted into the 3rd Birmingham Battalion, service number 1230. He was former pupil of King Edward's School, Aston. He served in D Company, 14 Platoon. In the book 'The Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour' there is a platoon picture, which I can scan and attach, tomorrow after I get home from work.

The 3rd B'ham Battalion began their military training at Moseley College in October 1914. The battalion then moved to a tented camp at Malvern in April 1915. Wensleydale in June 1915 and Salisbury Plain in August 1915. 21 November, 1915, is the day the three Birmingham Battalions embarked for France with the 32nd division. However within a couple of months in France the three Battalions had transferred into the 5th Division.

Below some of the young lads of the 3rd Birmingham Battalion in the canteen at Moseley College. (the reason I chose this picture is that I know the majority of these lads are from D Company)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help, Terry! I did some ferretting around last night and it appears that there was an Anti-Gas School at Rollestone Camp, which is 3 miles from Shrewton, on Salisbury Plain. ( still have no idea what exactly they did there, though!) That would tie in with the battalion's move to Salisbury Plain in August 1915.

Thank you for the offer of the pic: I'd be thrilled with that!

Hi derynf

His service with the Anti-Gas school would no doubt took place whilst he was in France after 21 November 1915. When the three City Battalions and the rest of the 32 Div arrived in France all the ranks were issued with their PH Helmets (gas hoods) and all ranks had to pass through a wooden shed filled with tear gas to try them out. He was probably transferred to one of these Gas-schools then.
below is 14 Platoon of D coy, 3rd B'ham Bn (16th Royal Warwicks). Can you recognise him at all?

Regards

Terry

Last edited:
That's a brilliant photo, thank you, Terry. Frank might be the very young looking soldier in the front row, third from the right, but I'm not sure. I'll have to compare him to a school photo I have of his older brother Eric, who was also in the Royal Warwickshires, but in the 9th (Service) Bn. (Sadly, Eric was killed at Gallipoli, in Aug 1915.)

Regarding The brother killed at Galipolli. I can put you in touch with a mate of mine who is doing some serious research into the 9th Royal Warwicks and he might have some interesting information for you. Let me know and I will give you his email via a Private message.

Regards

Terry

Got your message, Terry. You've been a great help, thank you. I'll email your mate asap.

Hello Terry,
great photos....do you by any chance have any more to share ? Possibly
of later in WW1 ? My grandad joined in 1917..here's hoping !!
Regards,
Margaret.

Terry
Kevan's just emailed me back with several photos and newspaper reports about Eric, so it's a huge thank you to both of you!
Deryn

Searching for details on two brothers.

I wonder if Terry could point me in the right direction to find out more about two brothers who were in WW1. Sorry, there is not much to go on really.
They were
Cyril Frederick Sharp b 1894 in Birmingham. Cyril was a PE instructor during the war I think (could be wrong) and he became a PE teacher after the war at King Edwards New Street.
The second was Douglas Leonard Sharp b 1899. I remember him telling me about using mules in Italy. He may have been in the RAMC.
They were my mother's brothers and she told me how she went to Malvern when one or both of them were camped there. They both survived but a third brother who was Douglas's twin was Driver Philip Raymond Sharp 835935, C Bty 311th Bde Royal Field Artillery who died on 21 Nov 1917.
Thanks,
Janet H

hello Janet

Had a look on Ancestry. There are plenty of Cyril Sharp's that served in WW1 but cannot come up with a Cryril Frederick combination. Same goes for Douglas also. The medal card index very rarely gives an address on the back of the card.
The only thing I can come up with at the moment is to check the Birmingham Absent Voters for 1918. Cyril if still serving should be listed.... Yardley Road, Small Heath, was the parents address on the CWGC site.

However, Douglas would have been to young to have been included on the absent voters list as the voting age then was 21.

Has any family member got their medals? Their service number would be on the edge or othe back of them.

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry. Yes they were living at the address you mentioned.I've got them both on Ancestry in the Priddey tree. Their mother was a Priddey. No medals I'm afraid.
Janet.

Back