• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Franchise St

jonsyl

proper brummie kid
Re: information on street

Hi Mikejee

I see on site that you are very good at finding old maps and street names I am trying to find a place called Kensigton Gardens somewhere of Franchise Street Perry Barr where the UCE is now any help would be most welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

Afraid the only Kensington Gardens I can find are off Balsall Heath Road, the other side of town

hi Mikejee

i see on site that you are very good at finding old maps and street names I am trying to find a place called Kensigton Gardens somewhere of Franchsie Street Perry Barr where the UCE is now any help would be most welcome

Looking at 'Britain From Above', a photo showing Perry Barr Stadium in 1937, also shows Franchise St. It does look to be a residential area. However, I too cannot tie down Kensington Gdns, BUT, have found an article on 'Perry Barr and Beyond' describing the untimely demise of an 11yo boy:- "the victim being a boy named Wallace Wellington Green, aged 11
of 1, Kensington Gardens, Franchise Street, Perry Barr."

There are a number of historical maps on www.old-maps.co.uk - search for Birchfield, not Perry Barr. All I can identify is Franchise St and the building layouts. I would suspect that Kensington Gdns was a row of houses between Franchise St and the railway, at the Wellhead lane end of Franchise St.Anyone have any larger scale maps of Birchfield?

Back