• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fox Hollies Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Any ideas of what these buildings are on Fox Hollies Road? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
viv the first one looks a bit like old almshouses but i dont think there is enough of them...

Fox Hollies Road is in my area but between Hall Green and Acocks Green and I've never seen that building before?

It's not at the Warwick Road end. And definitely not at the Stratford Road end.

Thanks Dave. Well done Lyn. Maybe it was once a larger group as, although they're all on Fox Hollies Road, they're fairly spread out. Almost like there might have been others in one complex. Viv.

Last edited:
Ellbrown

They are The First Walmley Almshouses on the junction of Walmley Rd and Fox Hollies Rd Sutton Coldfield.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
its the design that gave it away viv...very distinctive and typical of many almshouses

There are more around the traffic island fox hollies /. school road. The ones in the photos are the Stratford rd. end just on the left round the first bend.

There are more around the traffic island fox hollies /. school road. The ones in the photos are the Stratford rd. end just on the left round the first bend.

Beg to differ - the folk above are correct. I used to live in Walmley and I have worked in the Telephone Exchange on the other corner of Fox Hollies Road.

On the map here (red indicator), opposite the Walmley Club. The second set of buildings is a little further along - travelling away from Wylde Green Rd. Viv.

image.jpeg

Typing "Fox Hollies Road" into the Google Maps search bar is now showing Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham!

It looks longer in Sutton Coldfield compared to my Fox Hollies between Hall Green and Acocks Green!

Google can go a bit funny if there are more than one street of the same name in an area. If I put high st birmingham in click on the option which is thatonly with no post area code, then it takes me to Kings Heath High St

Typing High Street Birmingham in might take you to the Harborne High Street, and not the High Street in the city centre!

The War Memorial used to be right in front of this pair before it was moved to the library. There are more along walmley Road.

Unfortunately that part of Fox ~hollies Road only appears in Kellys from about 1915 onwards. Then the post office was at no 664 and Alice Davenport was sub postmistress., and it seemed to only be listed as a sub-post office.

Back