• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fowler street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this is a pic of windsor place...numbers 2 and 3..fowler street...i am not sure what area this is in but nechells springs to mind. may be of interest to someone..

astoness

Lyn wasn't someone asking about Windsor place today. I think it was either Sylvia Sayyers or John Houton. Will go back and take a look. Jean.

Lyn
Fowler st was off Bloomsbury st , as on the map. although it is listed as a street in the street lists for a long time, houses in it are not listed after about 1888. the two houses must be the ones marked in red.
Mike

map_fowler__st_1902.jpg

hi jean.. it would be jolly useful if windsor place was of interest to someone as as you know we dont always get pics with the place names on the houses....

lyn

fowler street 1964 with temporary mission hall..

pic courtesy of carl chinn

this is a pic of windsor place...numbers 2 and 3..fowler street...i am not sure what area this is in but nechells springs to mind. may be of interest to someone..

astoness
Hi Astoness, Just come across this thread, My Uncle , Aunt and Cousin lived in Fowler Street Nechells, I'm fairly sure it was at No.3, the houses opposite were bombed early in the war, I remember walking round there to see the damage.

Regards, Reg

As I've an obvious link to the name of this Street, I thought I'd repost the pics which Astoness had originally put up. (Hope that's OK with you Lyn) First is numbers 2 and 3 Fowler St taken in 1964
Fowler-Street-Numbers-2-3-November-1964-.jpg

Second is also taken in 1964, in November
Fowler-Street-3-11-1964-.jpg

brilliant david..please feel free to repost any of mine that you may have....it all helps the cause of getting our images back on the forum..
cheers...

lyn

Hi Folk,
Would the photo No.2 have been taken from opposite 3 Fowler St. I was wondering if it was the bomb site which I mentioned in my post No.6
Regards Reg

Some more photos of Fowler St, the only thing I knew personally about Fowler Street was the Stork pub at the end of it and its terrible beer. The only reason I used it was because it was the only place I could get a drink under age, but even then I could tell it was bad beer. Perhaps that is why I became a spirit drinker.

I must just add that some of these photos are from the wonderful Birmingham lives site.

Phil

Nechells-Fowler-Street-1.jpg
NechellsFowler-Street-Numbers-3-11-November-1964-1.jpg

NechellsFowler-Street-Bloomsbury-Street-3-11-1964-1.jpg
NechellsFowlerSt2.jpg

NechellsFowlerSt.jpg

under age drinking phil???..surely not lol..great pics thank you for posting them..

lyn

Hi, I'm Mark Timothy and lived at #4 Fowler Street, @1960 until it was demolished, I remember going to the Chapel for Sunday School with my Sister Suzanne, we both attended Bloomsbury Street School.

Hi I’m Lynn Ashton (well, I was then) and I’ve just found this thread. I lived at 23 Fowler Street in the 60’s, having moved from round the corner in Goodrick Street. We also went to Bloomsbury Primary School and the Bloomsbury Institute for Sunday School. My brothers were in the band and I was the mace bearer. Here’s a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 7
was there a club at that hall/chapel i seem to remember one when i went to Bloomsbury school 1950s

There was a non-denominational church and Sunday school, run by Mr Henry. I don’t remember a club, though my brothers might, but the church ran outings. We went to Wicksteed Park a few times.

Back