• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Foulkes/Fowkes Family - Ladywood/Handsworth/Smethwick

sheiljoy

knowlegable brummie
I have hit a brick wall with my family research so if anyone out there is researching this name and has any ideas as to what or where I can go next it would be most appreciated.

My 2x Gt Grandfather was Henry Foulkes/Fowkes born c1820 in Birmingham, on the 25/12/1840 he married Mary Spalding b1820 at Harborne Parish Church. His father was stated as Warley Foulkes deceased, Glass Cutter. I have looked everywhere possible that I can online (due to a disability I am limited) and the only Henry Foulkes baptism I can find is for a Henry Foulkes b: 27/4/1820 - christened 1834 at St Marys Handsworth to a Benjamin & Catherine Foulkes

I have all the census info and in 1841 Henry & Mary Folkes/Foulkes/Fowkes lived at Ninevah Handsworth & in 1871 he appeared with a different wife called Caroline

i cant find henry and mary at ninevah road on the 41 at the min..on the 51 census factory road with wife mary...61 st vincent road ladywood wife mary and children..71 eyre st ladywood wife caroline and children..81 eyre st wife caroline and children...assuming of course i have got the correct family..

i also found this 1863 marr cert for a henry fowkes to caroline brookes ..if i have got the correct person this is henrys second marr..need to double check all this

note he puts no fathers name on this marr cert so maybe he was illigitimate

lyn

40458_316683-00445.jpg

Last edited:
the burial you found jan 1863 ties in with henrys second marr nov 1863...not sure yet about the burial in nechells for a mary ann. 7 months old..henry and mary did have a daughter mary but she lived and did not die young...i have now found henry and mary on the 41 at ninivah..

on henrys marr cert to mary i cant see where it says his father is deceased as stated in post 1

lyn

Last edited:
Back