• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fort Dunlop Death - Circa 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumseeker

Hi all, this is my first time using this forum so please point me in the right direction of people or particular threads if you can, as I’m not sure what this should come under.

I am currently working with an Engineer who was an apprentice at the Fort Dunlop site in what I believe he said was the very late 70s or very early 80s.

He was telling me a story recently about an employee that was crushed between the rollers of one of the tyre machines. He was new to the job, and unaware that a safety device had been bypassed and was essentially pulled into the machine and crushed. The HSE was involved and the site was closed for around a week due to their investigations, which lead to the dismissal of several people, and criminal convictions of others.

From what I’m told, he was a young man in his early 20s with a wife and young child at home.

As I work in this industry, I have an keen interest in learning the full story around this and involving this and what caused the accident and what the findings were around this, but cannot find anything about it at all online, whether that be because my search is too wide, or the keywords relating to too many other more recent stories.

I was hoping people would have knowledge about this, and maybe even newspaper articles or links to any information about this?

I know it’s a long shot, and sketchy information, but someone out there will know about it.

Thanks in advance to you all,

J

I would have thought that as this was fatality at work the Health and Safety Executive, the Coroners Courts and the law courts would have records of this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back