• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Hi Pat, Ken and Daverock. There was a Hopkins family living at 250 Formans Road and I used to go cycling with the son Graham. He would have been born around 1942/3. Did you know them as well? With regard to Ken Guy, Dave, I didn't know him very well and I think we exhausted who we knew at York Road School when we first made contact. Best wishes. Dave.

Dear Dave - sorry I didn't know that family so cannot help you. Was j.P Carter still teaching at York Rd when you were there?
best wishes

Pat Hayward

Hi Pat. I do not remember a teacher called Carter. Miss Dunton was the headmistress and other teachers were Miss or Mrs. Woolcock, Crowther and Mr. Spencer. Dave

Hi Pat. I do not remember a teacher called Carter. Miss Dunton was the headmistress and other teachers were Miss or Mrs. Woolcock, Crowther and Mr. Spencer. Dave
I was at York Road 1941-1947 and Mr Carter 's was the 'top class'. I remember Miss Woolcock and Pat Crowther but not Mr.Spencer and fond memories of Miss Dunton. Perhaps Mr.Carter had moved on.b
with best wishes
Pat Hayward

Farmer davey
I lived at 139 Formans 1935-1961 i am unable to recall any one by that name, the only person i can remember of a younger age living at the top end near the rec was Vic Eels but he was a bit older like me.

250 (3).jpgSome of my old class mates from Formans Rd School, we went through the years together. Two have now passed away but the rest of us meet once a year.

I was at York Road 1941-1947 and Mr Carter 's was the 'top class'. I remember Miss Woolcock and Pat Crowther but not Mr.Spencer and fond memories of Miss Dunton. Perhaps Mr.Carter had moved on.b
with best wishes
Pat Hayward
Hi Pat. Mr Spencer took the "top class" while I was there. Looks as if we both did quite well as you went on later to King Edwards Handsworth and I went to King Edwards Camp Hill. Dave

More brilliant pics but I don't recognise anyone except perhaps Barbara Clark - did she live in Tynedale Road. If she did her mother worked. With my mother at Charles Hill's in Cateswell Rd when they made coffin handles and
furniture. Mom used to bring the scrap coffin handles home to light our fire with !!

George hah done his hip in by then and was in Woodlands hospital, you are right about Barbara but she passed away 2 years ago.

Mr. carter was a wonderful teacher and I always felt that I had lots of reasons to be grateful to him for my getting into
K.E.G.S.H.

Best wishes
Pat Hayward

That's really sad as I remember her and her sister Laura well They lived opposite the 36 bus stop. How did George damage his hip?

Pat

Pat
On the prefects pic you will see Joan Hawkins on the back row far right. The lad next to her was Pat Hopkins boy friend, they went out after leaving school for quite a while
Ken

Ithink it was done in the gym, he was in hospital for ages. Ihave a pic of him at a reunion but i need to scan it first . May be able to do it on Sunday

You are correct about Joan. Prefect names.
B/R Joan Ketteridge,Donald Meylin, Linda Terry, Shirley Kimberley, Ken Green and Joan
M/R Janet White,Myself, Hazell Locket ,Eric Wadsworth
Seated Roy Brian and John Rabone

We used to play all our school football and cricket matches at Shirley Rd playing field the back of Hartfield Rd school.

Thought I recognised some faces but they don't tie up with the names. How have you managed to collect all these pics over the years?
Pat

As you will remember cameras were scarce in those days . Some poeple managed to get a photo and keep it . A lot of them have come to light at reunions, with all the modern technology it has been easy for people to swop pics

1926-1927 team.jpgFormans Rd school team from the past, the lad 3 from the left front front row is my late uncle Fred Harris who went on to play for Birmingham for 16 seasons

262.jpgFormans Rd pupils on a weeks holiday at Minehead YHA in 1950. Iam not on this i went to Malvern ,you had a choice. Barbra is at the front ,Joan His in the centre

IMG_0377[1].JPGThe Formans Rd tornado 1931, this the shop on the corner of the gully leading to the brick yard. The door on the right is were my dads familly lived at 109

My Mom told me about this and that someone was killed on the bridge _ is that correct was this picture opposite that bridge.
Pat

No the picture is of a shop on the corner of the gully that led down to the brick yard. The lady was sheltering at the side of the shop at the time. My dad lived next door, you can see their front door ot the right side of the picture.

Back