• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FOOD family name

G

Grace

Is anyone researching this unusual surname of FOOD ?
Thomas Food married approx. 1882. I believe the family lived in Aston for some time.

We lived next door to 112 Tower Road

We lived next door to 'Auntie' Beat and 'Uncle' Alf, they were brother and sister, their other sister also lived there and was married to Harry Taylor, she was named 'Auntie' Gert, they had one daughter - Gertie -she never married.

'Auntie' Beat used to take care of me, when i came home from school when my mum was at work, this would have been until i was about 10yrs old.

I remember that they used to have this big old fashioned sideboard all along the one wall, it was all mirrors and they had stuffed birds under glass and old fashioned statues.

I remember that i used to ask 'Auntie' Beat what we would all do when the war ended? She would look at me very deeply, and then Say - "Well me babby - I think we will all jump up in the air and never come down" she always called me - me babby.

Food surname

Hello John and Dorothy,
Firstly, thank you John for the information from the 1920 surnames list. These are indeed the folk who in 1891 lived at 109 Upper Thomas Street. Thomas was the father who died in 1904 aged 40 and Hannah his wife.
Their children Beatrice, Gertrude, Selina, Alfred and little Thomas, who was born in 1891 and died later the same year.
Hannah was the sister of my gt.grandmother Emma who married William Chiswell in 1853. The Chiswell story is on this site.
Did you know any of Beatrice's and Alfred's relatives Dorothy ? The Chiswell family was very large and most of them lived in Aston.So much progress from just one message. Thank you both. :D

A little bit more information to that already posted:
1891 Census- RG12-2435, page 25/29
Address 109 Upper Thomas Street, Aston
Thomas Food- Head- M- 36- Press toolmaker- Employed- Birmingham
Hannah .. - Wife- M- 38- ..
Alfred .. - Son - 7- Scholar ..
Beatrice.. - Dau - 5- Scholar- -------- Aston
Gertrude.. - Dau - 3- .. ..
Selina .. - Dau - 1 ..
Thomas H.. - Son - 2 months ..
Caroline Clayton - Mother in law- Widow -78 -Living on her own means

Monumental inscription, place St Peter St Paul, Aston.

Thomas Henry son of Thomas and Hannah Food grandson of T&C Clayton died September 28th 1891 aged 8 months. Thomas Food father of above died December 1st 1894 aged 40 years.
Extracted from microfiche number 2 page 84

Eric

Thank you Eric, another pc. of the jigsaw.   Caroline is my gt.gt.grandmother.

Back