• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Florist Margaret Tregoning (Mrs Denison Cockburn)

I wonder if she achieved her ambition of having her own land and growing her own choice and varied plants and shrubs. This idea is popular again now. It’s a real problem that came along with supermarket flowers; uniformity and a bland choice of flowers. Some have since upped their game. I can appreciate her thinking going back nearly 70 years ago, Viv.

My big sister Ann Croft, fought to go to Pershore Horticultural College in c . 1955 - she had to fight because she was a girl! To prove she was serious, she had to work as an unpaid volunteer at the Botanical Gardens for 6 months, and then she was allowed to go to Pershore. She loved the course, but for some reason, when she came out she wanted to train as a florist! 'Margaret Tregoning' agreed to take her on, but first Ann had to redesign and create her garden - in other words, dig it all over, plants shrubs and trees etc, and then start training all over again as a Junior Florist at the shop in the city centre! However, she was brilliant, and had great flair. Later she went on to open a new Margaret Tregoning shop on Bristol Road where she worked as the Manager for some years.

My big sister Ann Croft, fought to go to Pershore Horticultural College in c . 1955 - she had to fight because she was a girl! To prove she was serious, she had to work as an unpaid volunteer at the Botanical Gardens for 6 months, and then she was allowed to go to Pershore. She loved the course, but for some reason, when she came out she wanted to train as a florist! 'Margaret Tregoning' agreed to take her on, but first Ann had to redesign and create her garden - in other words, dig it all over, plants shrubs and trees etc, and then start training all over again as a Junior Florist at the shop in the city centre! However, she was brilliant, and had great flair. Later she went on to open a new Margaret Tregoning shop on Bristol Road where she worked as the Manager for some years.
how interesting...your sister was certainly a very determined woman so pleased she succeeded

lyn

Back