• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flint Green Road

Sazzie

proper brummie kid
My family lived in 44 Flint Green Road during the 1940's at that time I thought it was an army barracks as I was a child am not sure if it was Home Guard or what. My Farther was a Quartermaster Sergeant. Any information anybody could give me will be much appreciated.

My family lived in 44 Flint Green Road during the 1940's at that time I thought it was an army barracks as I was a child am not sure if it was Home Guard or what. My Farther was a Quartermaster Sergeant. Any information anybody could give me will be much appreciated.
If you supply names then we might be able to search further for you.

Thank you I remember tanks in the front garden, the soldiers doing target practice, the officers' mess and my father dealing with army equipment and the various soldiers, officers coming and going.

Have just seen in a note made by a family member that Father re-joined the Army in the Warwickshire Regiment at the Army barracks ie. 44 Flint Green Road. He had previously been in the WW1.

Have just seen in a note made by a family member that Father re-joined the Army in the Warwickshire Regiment at the Army barracks ie. 44 Flint Green Road. He had previously been in the WW1.

i would have thought that 44 flint greetn road was his home address..as janice said if you can give us his name we maybe able to help you more

lyn

No 44 is not listed in any of the wartime or immediate post war directoies. I know that maps of the period which were generally available usually did not indicate dockyards, ordnance factories etc. Had not realised the same applied to directories (though I suppose it might be expected). The 1939 Kellys does list no 44 as below:

1939 Kellys.jpg

Last edited:
We lived there as a family but it was no doubt a barracks. I visited a few years ago, a very large house with garden. His name was PCB Stringer, he certainly could not afforded to own such a large house.

Oh that is interesting, I don't expect they would have mentioned individual soldiers, but surely that shows something military was going on? Thank you for all these contributions

Yes exactly Sazzie. It does not say exactly what, though something to do with the royal engineers. In the 1930s up to at least 1934 it was the home of E H Smith, builders, and for a time after the war also a building contractors. No indication in ht press between those two times

Yes exactly Sazzie. It does not say exactly what, though something to do with the royal engineers. In the 1930s up to at least 1934 it was the home of E H Smith, builders, and for a time after the war also a building contractors. No indication in ht press between those two times
Well thank you I appreciate your research. I guess at the moment I will have to leave it at that. but maybe someone else will come up with something, perhaps from their own family. I guess it was kept very hush hush. somewhere I may have a photo of that time, but not sure where, but when I find it I will post it. I was told on my more recent visit that it had been turned into flats but that the present owner was turning it back again to the original, some of the large garden had been sold off.

Well thank you I appreciate your research. I guess at the moment I will have to leave it at that. but maybe someone else will come up with something, perhaps from their own family. I guess it was kept very hush hush. somewhere I may have a photo of that time, but not sure where, but when I find it I will post it. I was told on my more recent visit that it had been turned into flats but that the present owner was turning it back again to the original, some of the large garden had been sold off.
I am sure there was a army base on Stockfield Road just around the corner from Flint Green Road.It was where the Mecca Bingo is now.

Just found this thread I lived nearby on and off from 1940-1970, there's a mention of 44, Flint Green in Acock's Green History site, referred to as Sherbourne House

I think it might have been 42 which was called Sherbourne House.
1908 directory lists last 2 houses in Flint Green Road as
1720520180073.png

In later directories the last 2 houses are 42 and 44.
1720520245662.png

Back