• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fleet Street

smtr

master brummie
Hi

My Gt Grandmother gave 3 Fleet Street as her address when she married. Is it possible that someone has a street map showing the houses please ? Apologies if there is already a thread for Fleet Street but I searched and couldn't find one.

Forgot to say - it was 1891 when she married.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Last edited:
Hi

My Gt Grandmother gave 3 Fleet Street as her address when she married. Is it possible that someone has a street map showing the houses please ? Apologies if there is already a thread for Fleet Street but I searched and couldn't find one.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
Have a Wakelin's Street Guideof the City of Birmingham, no year date but quite old, cost 6d, has a light blue folder, someone may be able to date it; however, it gives Fleet Street as 59 Summer Row to Newhall Street Cen. hope this is of some help.

Hi again Suzanne,
Have also an Allday's Plan of the City of Birmingham circa 1938 which shows Fleet street in Newhall Street next to Lionel Street and it had a Telephone Exchange there

if you take a look at Google Street view, Fleet Street, you will see Wongs restaurant. Their address is 5-11 Fleet Street so I would expect that your ancestors lived in a similar property, unfortunately it looks like number 3 has been rebuilt.

hi suzzane hopefully if mike sees your post he will sort a map out for you highlighting your gt grans house..just as an aside newmans coffin furnishing factory is at nos 13 to 15 fleet st and construction of that was finished in 1894 having started in 1892 so maybe if she was still in the street at that time she could have worked there..

lyn

The 1892 directory list that address as
3 Egan William measuring tape maker

Hi

Many thanks

Suzanne

Telephone House corner of Newhall Street, Lionel Street and Fleet Street

Fleet Street today is mostly modern buildings alongside the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.

This hotel is at the end of Lionel Street (to Fleet Street). As seen from the Library of Birmingham

Suzanne
Below are two maps of around 1890 , one large scale and the other a smaller scale to show exactly where Fleet St is. In both cases no 3 is in green

map_c_1890_showing_no_3_Fleet_St.jpg

map_c_1889_showing_no_3_Fleet_St.jpg

Hi All

Many, Many thanks for your replies and Mike thanks so much for the maps. I wonder if you could pinpoint where 13 -15 would be please?

Lyn, in April of 1891 she was listed at 3 Cofton Place, Abbey Street but by the time she married 18 October 1891 she gave 3 Fleet Street. She was listed as a dressmaker in the 1891 and 1901 census. Her first 2 children were born at 3 Cofton Place, Abbey Street, so I wonder if she just gave Fleet Street as an address so she would be able to marry at St. Phillip's Church?

Thanks once more :)

Suzanne

hi suzanne i guess its possible so that she could marry at st phillips..i know my aunt gave a false address so that she could marry at st georges..the coffin factory was at the other end of fleet st but wont be showing on mikes 1890 map as construction did not begin until 1891..looks to me as though that whole side of the st was just houses..

mike i have saved that first map you posted as it could come in usful at a later date...thanks mike.

lyn

Hi Lyn

Yes I think she just put Fleet St so she could marry at St. Phillip's. I was just interested to see where the coffin factory would have been later on in relation to No 3. I suppose I can just count up approximately, but then I don't know how the numbering would have worked. I worked for 20 years in Newhall Street and passed Fleet Street every day but that was before I had any knowledge of family history:)
Suzanne

suzzane i think if you count about 5 down from the summer row end of fleet st that would be about where the coffin factory is now...mind you dont take my word for it its only a guess as im hopeless at maps etc lol..

lyn

Suzanne
In this case it is just a matter of counting along, though this is not always so. Have marked 13,14 & 15 on map below. Around 1890 no 14 was the Old Fox pub.

map_c_1889_showing_no_32C_132C14___15_Fleet_St.jpg

Thanks from me also Mike. My gt grandfather lived at 3/16 Fleet Street in 1881 - this shows clearly on your map.
I've always liked Fleet Street, but then I love canals!

hi mike looking at the map on post 8 is it safe to say that newmans coffin works was built on ground originally taken up by houses and that there were no houses on the other side of the street

lyn

Hi. I am trying to find an earlier map of Fleet Street - c1840. I have a 3x grandmother recorded at 10 Court, Fleet Street but unsure if this would have been in the Erdington area or not. the document I have is a digital image of birth so no district information on the image itself though the index just gives 'Birmingham' as the district. Can anyone help clarify or point me in the direction to find this data myself please? thank you

There was no fleet st in Erdington. As Lyn says, Fleet st was in the city. Below is a large scale map showing 10 court in red. Also a smaller scale map from c1839 with the court marked in red

map c1839 showing court 10 Fleet st.jpgmap 1880s showing court 10 fleet St.jpg

My Grandfather, who i never met, used to work in the gun trade and boasted that he new every road and street in
the city of Birmingham.

That was until someone asked for directions to Fleet Street and he confessed he didn't know it...

Back