• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Five Ways

I remember working on the construction of the Broadway Buildings, just peeping out from the left hand side of the second picture above, installing mechanical services. It was supposed to a 'Prestige Office Block.' Not a very nice job and before any windows were installed, and boy was it cold on that sixth floor!! At least it was an easy run there on the No1 bus from Acocks Green where I lived at the time, and I enjoyed the couple of pints in the Crusader across the road at lunchtime. After work in the evening a nice walk down Broad Street for a few more pints in town!
I also worked in the Tesco store on the ground floor installing mechanical services. That was a better job! That place is no longer a Tesco, I believe.

I had to change buses at Five Ways and never knew from day to day where the bus stop would be, not convenient at 6.45 in the morning!!

The only recognisable feature in these photos is the Lloyd's building in the third photo, everything else has been swept away.

The Joseph Sturge memorial (which originally incorporated drinking fountains) was unveiled in 1862 in front of a crowd of 12,000. I expect that stopped the traffic at this busy intersection of five roads.
Screenshot_20231201_172316_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231201_171832_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231201_172612_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231201_171702_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231201_171632_Chrome.jpg

Back