• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Feeder Street, Harborne

Yvonne

proper brummie kid
Hi all, haven't posted to this for a very long time ..... Anyone know where Feeder Street was in Harborne? It appears in the 1891 census. I suspect it was nearer the Smethwick side but still can't find much mention of where it was. Many thanks.

In my little green book (Wakelin's) it says "385 Oldbury Rd. West Smethwick." I then looked at Oldbury Rd. and it gives " cont. High St. Sme To Birmingham Rd Oldbury."

Hope this helps,
rosie.

Rosie, thanks for your help but I am not sure I understand. Does it mean do you think that it was behind or led from 385 Oldbury Road and ran between Oldbury Road and High St, Smethwick?

thanks Yvonne

Feeder st is shown on the 1904 map below. It would be about where forest close is on the present google map
Mike

feeder_st_c_1904.jpg

hi there
it would have come down from behind the high st smethwick and then it came down from behind the houses
and also ran down behind the GKN factory on heath street winson green where it inta diverted to the grand union stretch of water ways
and travelled through to the handsworth channel and the main connection into gas st basin to other links
at the feeder was a gater keeper by the name of ralph he was a little man he lived there and when he retired because of the lack of the feeder he got himself a job at the smiths arms on winson green and just along fromthe feeder at smethwick was the horses stables for the big grey shire horse where the boatmern of the water ways kept there horse one of the horses which was the crazy one was called charlie a great big shire and the most used horse on that strech of the grandunion cannalwe would spend alot of time up the feeder section of the cannal
best wishes astonion

Hello again,
Wakelin's Street guides came before "A-Z" and there are no diagrams, just lists of streets and where they join others.
Mikejee's map is clearer than my description!
Rosie.

Back