• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fast pitts road yardley

hayward

knowlegable brummie
i was born in 1962 the 10th child of 11 we lived at no 60 fast pitts rd.It was a 3 bedroom council house.the 6 boys slept in 1 room 5 girls in another and mom & dad in the third.I remember the coal bunker in the back garden.The pantry (no fridge in them days).not being allowed in the front room where the electric fire was and settee only visitors allowed in that room.Lino on the floor not carpet.I spent every waking hour playing football in Wash Lane park (oaklands rec).there was a putting green,tennis courts,cricket square,swings etc.now it is just a barren peice of land.i remember sledging down the dell when the snow fell.(it seemed to last for weeks on the ground in those days,or maybe that was looking at from an 8 yr old,s eyes).
i would love to hear of people,s memories from the yardley area in the 60,s /70,s

I lived in Henshaw Grove between 1968 and 1984. I spent most of my weekends in the park (Oaklands) or on the Rec by the River Cole on Hob Moor Road. As we lived in a Grove all the Children would gather on the Island in the middle and play various games - football, skipping, tig, hide and seek- until it got dark and my mum would call me in. I can still remember most of the names of the families that lived in the Grove. Which end of Fast Pitts was your house?

It was on the corner of ashton grove.we moved in to a new house on berkeley rd in 1970 but i still used to come up and hang around with the mcintaggarts,baccioci,and a few from henshaw grove such as the moores,cooksons and john cronin,but gradually i met new friends on the estate and spent more time down there,but still kept in touch with my old friends.

hi hayward
just read your thread and i see you knew joh croin
do you still see him or do you even know wether he is
still alive today ? we have known john for donkey years
does he still used the monica ,
hayward do you remember the hobmoor pub
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian

Although I haven't seen john cronin for many years i know from speaking to people he is alive and well and still lives in yardley.Are we talking about the same person as John is only about 50.Not sure if he drinks in the Monica but I recently went to the ravenscroft social on Green Lane and met loads of the old Hobmoor crowd they told me they moved there after the Farringdon closed, apparently John drinks there also. It was great to see all the old faces from around the hobmoor.Another family from Henshaw grove were the Mooneys.Danny was running the Victoria at Bordesley Green but i don't think he is there now.regarding the Hobmoor i have posted my memories on the thread of that name.

regards Hayward

hi hayward
many thanks for getting back to us and letting us know
that johny is still alive and kicking it is the same kid we
are speaking about i should have relized that
when seamus and annie gallagher left the monica
johny and the others regulars would have stopped
useing the monica do you know pat purcell he
was a good friend to me and the my old dutchess
and of course johny
hay , when did they close the farrinden down
it was a thriving club alot of people left the hay mills
and went to to the farrindon
i almost knew every one in there at the farrindon
many years ago i lived on the corner ofthe cov .rd
by beddoes chippie and also in the small speedwell rd
i have quite afew friends down and around by fast pitts
and around the farrigton
best wishes astonian ;;;;

I lived next door to the Cronin's, Theresa went to live near the Poolway and John's younger brother, Kevin , died a few years ago.

I used to play with the Mooney's, Danny, Chrissy and Tony and Tony Cookson. A great gang of us used to spend hours playing in the Grove.

My dad was a member of the Farringdon Club, wasn't that the one off Berkley Rd East not far from the Hobmoor Pub?

Never been a big 'pub goer' so I don't really know much about them except where they were.

in about 1971 we started a youth football team called oaklands amateurs,manged by a guy from wash lane named steve barber. i think we were under 12's. All the players lived around wash lane park. I still have photos of when we won the cup in i think 1972. Players in the side were..Paul Shuck,Paul Baccioci,Andrew Derby, John Cronin,Tony Moore,Micky Rowe,Ian Ryan,Ivan Moore.
I

hi hayward
i remember danny i think he told me not so long ago when i seen him in studley that he was some-where down by the birmingham airport i will speak to him again as i go to studley quite often and so does danny
best wishes astonian ;;

In the 60's and early 70's my 2nd home was wash lane park i used to spend all weekend there playing football.I remember sunday mornings there must have been about 8 different matches being played at once when the game finished in the morning we would play in the goals with the nets up until the afternoon games started then we would go home have sunday dinner and rush back up for another hours football until it got dark.Henry rd playing fields was seen as sacred turf you only played there if you were in a team.The main pitch was only used for cup finals and b.ham boys games of which i played both.Saturday mornings myself and about 5 of my brothers & sisters would walk up allendale rd, up berkeley rd east and on to the saturday matinee at the Adelhi picture house. We all had sixpence and would watch Zorro, the Lone ranger and my favourite to this day Norman Wisdom.in the afternoon we would go down to the river cole and allotments where berkeley rd estate now stands and play in the river. I still have the scar on my knee from when i tripped over in the river and fell on a broken bottle,my wellies filled with blood and i ended up having 8 stitches. i remember prefabs lining the river cole and wash lane park.also before the Farringdon was built there was a council builders yard there you can still see a couple of the original buildings there.

I'm searching for a June Thomas/Thompson who lived at number 12 Henshaw Grove in the 70s, any info would be great TY

i was born in 1962 the 10th child of 11 we lived at no 60 fast pitts rd.It was a 3 bedroom council house.the 6 boys slept in 1 room 5 girls in another and mom & dad in the third.I remember the coal bunker in the back garden.The pantry (no fridge in them days).not being allowed in the front room where the electric fire was and settee only visitors allowed in that room.Lino on the floor not carpet.I spent every waking hour playing football in Wash Lane park (oaklands rec).there was a putting green,tennis courts,cricket square,swings etc.now it is just a barren peice of land.i remember sledging down the dell when the snow fell.(it seemed to last for weeks on the ground in those days,or maybe that was looking at from an 8 yr old,s eyes).
i would love to hear of people,s memories from the yardley area in the 60,s /70,s
Hi Mickey, I remember those days, even our loo was outside and l shared a room with my brother.

Back