• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Café

mdaniels

Brummie babby
Hi all, I have been making some enquiries regarding my Father's paternal side and we are lead to believe that there are links to a Café on Farm Street, Hockley. Does anyone have any information surrounding the Café on Farm Street between the years 1955 to 1965, in particular, those who owned it? Many thanks.

there could have been more than one cafe on farm st..maybe if you provides names someone could check the online electoral rolls for you

lyn

Hi Lyn, thank you for your response.

We are interested in 71 Farm Street, Hockley, which we are lead to believe was a Café ran by a ‘Tony’ and ‘Peggy’ between 1958 and 1964. We want confirmation of this through the Kelly’s Trade Directories but we only have access to the 1940 Directory at the latest.

Would it be possible for anyone who has access to later versions to determine whether 71 was a Café at all and the names of those who owned the business if so?

Many thanks

Here are entries from Kellys. you should remember that year is publication date and likely refers to year before
1955 Dining rooms Leslie Drew
1956 Dining rooms Mrs Gladys Beardmore
1958 dining rooms Mrs M.Cook
1961 Dining rooms Mrs M.Cook
1962 Dining rooms A.Mesh
1963, 1964 No entry

Here are entries from Kellys. you should remember that year is publication date and likely refers to year before
1955 Dining rooms Leslie Drew
1956 Dining rooms Mrs Gladys Beardmore
1958 dining rooms Mrs M.Cook
1961 Dining rooms Mrs M.Cook
1962 Dining rooms A.Mesh
1963, 1964 No entry

Thank you so much for this, mikejee! We've now been able to identify a couple of people that we were looking for associated with the address and can finally see that our suspicions about the property being used as a Café were correct. Thank you once again!

Last edited:
Hi all, thank you all so much for taking the time to research into 71 Farm Street to help me with my enquiries!

I have an image that I believe was posted by Lyn on the 'Farm Street Hockley' forum which I suspect to be of the Café at 71 Farm Street. Would anyone be able to confirm this either way?

Many thanks to Lyn for posting the image in the first place.PEGGY'S Cafe.JPG

hi mdaniels it does say peggys cafe on the wall so yes i would think its the one you are after and as you most likely know the name margaret is usually shortened to peggy

lyn

hi mdaniels it does say peggys cafe on the wall so yes i would think its the one you are after and as you most likely know the name margaret is usually shortened to peggy

lyn
Thank you so much for getting back to me Lyn. We thought that this was the case and think we’ve pinpointed what we need for now. Will be in touch soon if there’s anything else!

Thank you to everyone who has helped with my enquiry!

Back