• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family Remedies

• Thread starter Thread starter Ironfighter
  • Start date Start date
I

Ironfighter

One remedy that I remember fondly from childhood was Dr Collis Browns Chlorodine. If you had an upset stomach it was just the job and when it went down you got a lovely warm soothing feeling inside.
Mothers cure for just about everything internal was ASPRO, they were encapsulated in a strip of paper in a pink box and always kept in the sideboard drawer. If it was sore you rubbed Zambuc on it. Mouth ulcers were treated with Borasic powder.
Grandma took a Beechams pill everyday without fail, but I have no idea what for.Grandpa had a very strange aroma, which I was told was Sloanes Liniment or, "Orse Linment" - good for the," screws"
A visit to the Doctor, Dr Dennis in St Pauls road, usualy produced a box of M & B tablets or pink medicine, dispensed by Shelleys chemist on Lady pool Road.

It was reformulated,I think in the 70s because the original formula contained morphine no wonder it gave you a warm glow.

Hello Beryl,
My grandad had a vocabulary all of his own, a lot of it was Worcestershire/Gloucestershire, but I have heard this word used by old Brummies as well.
Any kind of muscular pain, particularly back pain was rtefered to as "the screws", in this case I suspect it was sciatica.

I think "skrews" came from Brummy rhyming slang. My mother often referred to her "skrewmatics" instead of rheumatics often shortend to "skrews". Also slightly off thread, Borasic used in wadding for polishing was often used in the context "Borasic Glint" for skint!

Hi wendy, I remember those phrases also, I always thought it was Borasic LINT as in the wound dressing?

Thanks ironfighter -Wendy, though I was brought up in Handsworth I have to admit a lot of Brummie expression very new to me!

Wendy, my Dad came from Yorkshire and he always referred to 'having the screws' when he had rheumatism, so I'm not so sure about it being a Brummie saying. Mind you, he might have picked it up the saying when he lived in the area. He moved about from Leamington/Wolverhampton/Birmingham.

Badger you may be right could have been me ears! Judy I am not sure but I only heard my Mom use the phrase but I am sure it would have spread elsewhere.

re remedies

IRONFIGHTER.i have put it on my feet for athleats foot,on the garden for earwigs,ants,etc,but never in my mouth it is not good for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Cod Liver Oil

Hello all,

I remember mom giving us a spoonful of something everyday. It was in a big plain brown jar and looked like runny toffee. I think it was called malt and cod liver oil. I quite liked it.

Funny now that these days our food it being advertised as containing omega fatty acids which, I understand, can be derived from fish oils.

Mom was Irish and one of her main remedies for cuts, brusies, sore throats, in fact almost anything that was inflamed, was salt water. Again my doctor has recommeded this in recent days.

I also seem to remember a poltice of bread and something??? Mom also drank the water from boiled cabbage (vitamins) and made us mint tea for a poor stomach. She bought Comfrey from an old guy that used to come to our door selling it, not sure what she used it for.

Of course we always had Milk of Magnesia in the fridge.

I really think we can over medicate these days and that some of the old ways make a lot of sense.

Tydavnet - I wonder if the malt and cod liver oil that was like runny toffee that you mention, was 'Virol'. I used to have a spoonful of that everyday and used to love it.

Another regular in the winter was Scotts Emulsion, which I think was another one with cod liver oil in it. This one used to make me feel sick.

I think you are right about the old remedies coming round again and sometimes the old ones are the best and they are all natural.

Judy

My mom used to drink the cabbage water, she said it was very good for your skin, and she also gargled with salt water for a sore throat, I have tried convincing my kids that it works but they won't try it.

Back