• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Falk, Stadelmann & Co

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
Falk, Stadelmann & Co produced lights/lanterns etc and were a very big company in Birmingham, taking over a number of other companies, including local ones. I am trying to find out where their factories/warehouses were located in Birmingham. I have an address of Veritas House, Lionel Street, Birmingham, but I am sure they had other locations, probably in the Aston/Hockley area. Any help will be appreciated.

You don't say the period in which they operated. There is no company under that name in the directory in 1973, but was a Falks Ltd, manufacturers of lighting & heating appliances for electricity, gas & oil in the 1965 edition at 66-68 George st with showrooms at 34 Newhall hill. If you give a better idea of the year then I can look further

Falk, Stadelmann were operating from the early 1900's to the early 1960's, but I am particularly interested in the war years, 1939-45 and 1943 in particular.

Many thanks.

Below are the entries in Kellys directories for 1939, 1940,1943,1944 & 1946
Kellys 1939 & 1940
Fa!k, Stadelmann & Co. Ltd. (with which is incorporated Wright & Butler's oil lamp department; Jas.Hinks & Son"; Thos. Rowatt & Sons & Matthias Jackson & Sons); manufacturers of appliances for oil, gas & electric lighting, heating & cooking-; offices & showrooms, Veritas house, 81-84 Lionel street. TA " Effesco.Birmingham; " T N's Central 8031, 8032 & 8033
Kellys 1943, 1944 & 1946
Falk, Stadelmann & Co. Ltd. gas fittings mfrs. 66, 67 & 68 George st. Parade. T A " Effesco; " Central 8031/3

Attached are maps c 1955 showing 81-84 lionel St (though it is possible that in the war the factory stretched back further from the road), and 67-68 George st with marked buildings in red.

map_c_1955_south_end_Lionel_St_showing_81-84.jpg

map_c_1955_George_St_off_Parade_showing_67-68.jpg

Thank you very much. That's fantastic work. I have one query. Lionel Street was the site of office's and showrooms, but you appear to be indicating that there was a factory too, or is that just speculation?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would only be speculation, but the Lionel st site is shown on the c 1938 map attached (which was probably surveyed around 1936) as going back to the canal, which would be more than just offices and showrooms. the 1933 Kellys lists the firm at the lionel st site, but also J Hinks & son, lamp manufacturers, this presumably being one of the firms they took over. the Britain from the air site (https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/download/EPW053101) has a picture from 1938 which shows a main block in front (here marked in red)with mixture of small buildings behind, so at a guess I would say manufacturing did take place there.

lionel_st__gt_charles_st_etc__1937_showing_81-84.jpg

map_c_1938_showing_81-84_Lionel_st.jpg

Thanks again. The reason for my interest in Falk, Stadelmenn and Co, is that my dad possibly worked there as a young man during WW 2 and I'm trying to gain as much information about the company as I can before embarking on further research, keeping in mind that my dad could be one of any number of people of the same surname and initials and even age that might have worked at the company.

Back