• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Exquisite Jewellery or W A P watson Ltd

S

susanweaver

I am looking for any information on Exquisite jewellery made by W A P Watson LTD.
I know they had factories in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter from the 1900s to 1954 before moving to Solihull.
They made qilt jewellery and costume jewellery as well as souvenir items and the Tudor Mint figurines

W A P Watson stopped making the jewellery in the late 1970s and the factory in Solihull closed around 2000.

The information is for the Exquisite jewellery only - from any one who worked there - when did they first mark the jewellery Exquisite, the designs dates and designers. In fact any information would be appreciated as there is very little available in the archives.

I had the same problem, I bought a broach with the name exquisite on the back, but I couldn't find any information about it, the broach has a stone missing but I still bought it because I liked it.

Unfortunately I rang and they had never heard of them, even though they were UK's second largest manufacturer of costume jewellery!!:(

I am going to have a look at the library at Solihull next week, they should have some information I hope:)

Best wishes Sue

That is strange, no wonder I couldn't find any information on my broach, I do hope you find something, in the mean time I'll have a look through my books to see if I can find anything.

Your brooch has an Egyptian revival look, which would date it to about the mid 1970s, at that point the Tutankhamun exhibition caused a revival of Egyptian style jewellery. But the information on the web suggests the Exquisite factory stopped production in the early seventies. I just need someone who worked there to confirm what happened.

Best wishes Sue

Thanks for the information on my broach, I had a look through my costume jewelly books and in the one it has all the makers marks in the back,but exquisite wasn't in there, hopefully someone who worked there will get in contact.

Well been to Solihull library found 3 articles for W A P Watson & Exquisite. Amazingly one article was about the jewellery inspired by King Tut!!

Produced in 1972 and taking its inspiration from the London Tutankhamun exhibition. Most necklaces and bracelets are smaller replicas of the actual pieces in the exhibition whilst the rings have been created in a similar design to finish off the set. No mention of brooches though.

If any one is interested in my research or the Exquisite jewellery range. I have been writing a blog. If anyone would like the link please contact me

Best wishes Sue

Thought you may want to see this comment posted on my blog about the research I have been undertaking for Exquisite jewellery::)

"This is Mike Savage from the USA. My mom and dad were great friends of Wallis Power and his Mother. Wallis actually named the "Mirella" range after my mom whose middle name was Mirella. He was a good man and a great friend to my parents. My mom worked for him at Vulcan Road for a good number of years and she brought work home. As a kid I always remember painting some of the brooches with enamel paint, especially the Scottish themed ones with the heather.Mom used to sew the brooches and earrings onto the pads that were used to sell them as a spare time job.. Exquisite was the trade name of the jewellery used in the fifties and included mirrors and picture frames of which I have a number of examples. Wallis I believe died in the early eighties, although I am not sure. My mom died last year, my dad is still alive at 87 and remembers those days well and we still have lots of pictures. As a student I used to work at the Ring of Bells Garage in Hampton in Arden, Wallis had a house called the Spinney there and I used to serve petrol to his son and daughter Trevor and Jane, although they never knew who I was. Mrs Power used to let my dad do all her gardening, she was well into her nineties when she died. Jack Power was on the Cap Pilar a ship that sailed into history in East Asia and was part of the small boats that went to rescue the troops at Dunkirk during the Second World War. Wallis was a great guy and I really admired and respected him as did my mom and dad, I am now 60 and remember him with a great deal of affection as does my dad".

I am really pleased Mike left a comment. Still researching and hope to find out more

Best wishes Sue:wave:

Back