• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Essex Street

Old shops

On the right - Balloons in things (upstairs is Go Cars)

Shops on Essex Street - Balloons in things by ell brown, on Flickr

Shops on Essex Street - Balloons in things by ell brown, on Flickr

On the left is currently an Indian restaurant called Cafe Tandoori Balti (upstairs is Rainbow Cars)

Shops on Essex Street - Cafe Tandoori Balti and Rainbow Cars by ell brown, on Flickr

Shops on Essex Street - Cafe Tandoori Balti and Rainbow Cars by ell brown, on Flickr

From Pevsner (seems like I missed a pub called the Black Lion)

On the corner of Essex Street, shops and the former Black Lion pub by Osborn & Reading, 1879-80. Canted bays slightly recessed. Partly surviving shopfronts probably of c. 1900, perhaps by Newton & Cheatle.

Another building corner of Essex Street and Bristol Street.

Was this a former bank? E.g. Lloyds Bank?

Quite a few of these Bristol Street buildings (to the right) have been empty for a long while. But assume they used to be banks!

On the corner, a delightful block of 1890 by Alfred T. Greening. Wide brick pilasters with acroteria-like tops dying into a deep cove. Between them, tile bands and panels. Stone ground floor by Peacock & Bewlay, 1924.

The above taken from Pevsner.

Someone on the Facebook group said it used to be The Bank of China.
Have checked Google Street Maps view history 2010-12, and it has been like this on each Google visit!

my gggrandfather is in the uk midlands trade directories from 1866/1873 as a chair maker and cabinet maker
at 46 essex street would you know if it was a shop or factory and if no 46 is still there or what end of essex street it would have been at josie

Interesting that in 1940 the occupant was a wood turner, a similar trade. the building is not there now, only a huge impersonal office block. Below is a c1889 map showing Essex St with no 46 in red. I think the buildings there then would have been the same as when your ancestor Thomas West was there.

map_c_1889_essex_st_showing_no_46.jpg

thank you mikijee
would you know the name of the person who was there in 1940 as i was told thet it was in the family for quite a few years not sure how true but would like to know
josie

thank you mikijee
would you know the name of the person who was there in 1940 as i was told thet it was in the family for quite a few years not sure how true but would like to know
josie

Sorry Josie, I mislead you. Must have misread the 1940 kellys. When I went back, no.46 was not listed. In fact there was no listing of the number from 1895, but names before that are given below.
Remember that date of directories is publication date and is likely to refer to a survey carried out up to, and in the mid 19th ceniury occasionallymore than, a year earlier.
In 1876-78 it was Mrs Sarah Barton.
1879 Richard Barton
1880-92 George Barton
1895 onwards No listing of no 46

The electoral rolls showthat from 1918-1930 the inhabitants were Slynn.

thank you mikijee
cant find any bartons in the family but intresting to know who was there on those dates
josie

A view up Essex Street looking towards Bristol Street. The church in view is St Catherine's church (now demolished possibly to make way for the car park and/or widening of Bristol Street?). The buildings to the left and right seem to have survived, although some are in a sorry state. Viv.

image.jpeg

Another building corner of Essex Street and Bristol Street.

Was this a former bank? E.g. Lloyds Bank?

Quite a few of these Bristol Street buildings (to the right) have been empty for a long while. But assume they used to be banks!

The above taken from Pevsner.

Someone on the Facebook group said it used to be The Bank of China.
Have checked Google Street Maps view history 2010-12, and it has been like this on each Google visit!
It's been 7 years, but the bank building and adjacent shops were demolished last month (July '21) to make way for a 28 storey block of flats. Sad isn't it.

Hi Everybody, we are trying to find out what the building was that was the Rileys Snooker Club was? It has entrances on Essex Street and Inge Street but the inside looks like it was a workshop or showroom in days gone by. Maybe one of the Evans buildings that were throughout the area? A good place to start might be if anybody knows what the pub that was on the corner was called?
Thank you

Back