• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Hi Moturn: You were right about there being a Laundry in Goosemoor Lane,Erdington. The Old Stone Laundry according to the attached link became a Co-op, not sure if it was a warehouse or a shop after the laundry left. The old Co-op place there was turned into Cooke's Furniture Store in the l980's. Cooke's is now a huge furniture business. Amazing since it's quite off the beaten track for shopping in Erdington.https://www.cookesfurniture.co.uk/1946topresentday.php

Thanks for the photo Bob. It would be nice to know where their other depots were for the Erdington Laundry Co.

After the Laundry in Goosemoor Lane, I believe it became at one time a discount warehouse similar to a Argos, I purchased a Ricoh automatic watch, which I still have.

Nick I'd assumed the driver would have been in the usual position at the front lower deck but there seems to be staircases at both ends. Surely that's not the driver's position top deck? Viv.

I know your comments are addressed to Nick, Vivienne but he may not see this thread for a day or two.

So, I mention that the driver would be in the lower vestibule and by noting the position of the trolley pole the vestibule would be the one in the right hand side of the 'photo. As you may well know most tramway systems did not have turning circles, such as that at Rednal, therefore the trolley pole would be reversed and the driver take up position at the other end of the car. Judging by the gentlemen's headgear I believe that is the driver sat upstairs partially appearing not to be included in the 'photo. For anyone with access to the National Tramway Museum at Crich, Derbyshire, I would say go there when you can and get some tram rides. I went some years ago: it was good then but has been even further improved.

Thanks for your reply Radiorails. Yes I did wonder if he was the driver and I agree he seems rather remote from the others. I expect that young boy standing on the platform went home a happy boy, maybe dreaming of one day driving a tram! But assuming he's a relation of one of well those healed men, it's pretty unlikely he'd make it an occupation. Viv.

I was born in South Rd Erdington 1950......I remember the laundry and the Steam Engines passing the back of the house and blowing their whistles...

I have absolutely no recollection of this tin church in Erdington. Photo is dated c.1917, but no further info about exact location. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366383092.391357.jpg

Hi Viv: Same with me re this postcard and location of a "Tin Tabernacle" in Erdington. It certainly is the classic style of a Tin Tabernacle. Several Anglican churches in the Midlands had tin tabernacle style places of worship before their brick church buildings were erected. I enlarged the postcard pic in order to try and read the sign.
It looks readable but I can't make it out. Seems many different church denominations used these tin churches but even looking through their history I couldn't locate this one.

Hi Mike: I'll have another look later Thanks. Do you know if a tin church shows up anywhere on the old maps
in Erdington area? There was one in Whitehouse Common Road, when it was just Sutton Coldfield and one at St. Peter's Maney also Sutton Coldfield.
The postcard could be wrong but on the other hand it might not. There are several Gospel /Evangelical meeting places around Erdington.
One on Hunton Hill where my Aunt attended when she visited Brum from Canada and next door neighbours to my family home who attend now. An Elim Church in South Road I also know about and one in New Street, off Erdington High Street. However, all of these buildings in the last sentence were brick built.

Jennyann
Trouble is they won't list it as a tin church . The one i assume you mean in whitehouse common road is just marked Mission church, which could be anything. The only one i wondered about was at at the junction of high st & wood end lane. In 1889 it is marked chapel and is just marked as a rectangle, but the Baptist church there in 1904 & 1915 is a different shape and a little bigger. I certainly think they were different buildings, and that thefirst was just rectangular, so could fit the picture.

Hi Mike And Jennyann. I've got the magnifying glass out on it and these are some of the words I can make out, not all the words but they might help:

"Site of a Primitive Methodist Church .....
Rev. Harvey Roe .....

... Percy Gibbs [B19?] Manger

London City and Midland Bank Erdington"

Viv.

Hi Mike And Jennyann. I've got the magnifying glass out on it and these are some of the words I can make out, not all the words but they might help:

"Site of a Primitive Methodist Church .....
Rev. Harvey Roe .....

... Percy Gibbs [B19?] Manager

Viv.

Deciphered a bit more:

"Site of a Primitive Methodist Church
Donations thankfully received by
Rev. Harvey Roe . ......... Erdington
Or Percy Gibbs Esq. Manager

Viv.

Primitive Methodists were big in this area, (Mow Cop, etc.), I didn't realise they'd extended so far south! My compliments on your powers of observation Vivienne14 !

On the British History online site it mentions that the Primitive Methodists had at least eight places of worship in the Birmingham area. No sign yet of the
the tin church on the postcard though. Well done Viv in reading that board.

In the 1913 Kellys Rev Harvey roe is listed as the superintendent of the Birmingham mission at high St Erdington, but in 1910 he is listed as superintendent at Newman road erdington,<BR>The c 1915 OS map shows a methodist church on the corner of newman rd/high st .&nbsp;It is not on the c 1903 map, indeed nor was newman road other than a marked line, though there were buildings approximately on the same site. Maybe there was a church for a short time on the site with entrance in newman Road, but it was rebuilt with entrance in high St

mapc_1915_showing_methodist_church_newman_rd_erdington.jpg

Sounds probable Mike, and would fit in with Jennyann's earlier comment about a temporary structure before a more substantial one was built. Thanks for finding out the info on the church etc.

This is a photo of Chester Road in 1913, a wonderfully peaceful scene, just before the dark war clouds descended on Britain. How nice to be able to cycle along a road like that without traffic. This photo has special meaning for me as my grandparents lived somewhere along this road going towards Sutton. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367092838.657607.jpg

I like this 1934 photo of Erdington. It still has the atmosphere of a village. A couple of nice Dutch gables to the right and further along you can just make out the old Swan pub, set back a little from the pavement. Everything looks orderly and unrushed, but maybe that's because that's how I like to see these places. Used to walk from Station Road number 28 bus stop to work at Boots at the other end of the High Street. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368046581.310285.jpg

A (still !) recognisable view of Station Road, looking towards Erdington Station bridge in 1907. Looks like a very respectable, edwardian street scene. Maybe the tinting makes it look more charming? And a Streetview for comparison. Hard to believe most of the buildings are still there. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371278436.444673.jpg 1907 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371278462.700415.jpg Today

Back