• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Enlistment for Kings Royal Rife Corps in Wolverhampton

Phillc

Brummie babby
Hi
Thanks for reading my post

My Grandad Samuel Cotterill Enlisted into the KRRC at wolverhampton in Dec 1915

Can anyone explain why he would have gone to Wolverhampton to enlist in the army?
I believe (thought dont know absolutely) that he lived in Birmingham near to winson green.

When he was killed on the Somme his family were living in Hooper St Winson Green so its mystery why he went to Volverhampton to elist. Surley there must have been an Enlistment office nearer?
It may be he specifially wanted to enlist in the KRRC but this is subjecture.

I cannot find any info of his marriage, birth or other details in Birmingham but can fins a few in Wolverhapton so maybe he lived near Wolverhapton and the family moved to brum whilst he was on the front.

His wife was Florence and Him parents were Samuel and Lucy

Any info appreciated

Phill Cotterill

Hi Phill

There is a marriage for a Samuel George Cotterill to a Florence Beharrell in 1906 Bham ref OND 6d 162
The 1911 census has a Samuel Cotterell born 1879 Hockley Bham - bricklayer's labourer (the actual census signed by Samuel is COTTERILL)
Wife is Florence Cotterell B1877 Bham = married 5 years
children: Lucy Cotterell B1907 Hockley, Catherine Cotterell B1909 Winson Green, Samuel Cotterell B1910 Winson Green
They are living at 2 bk 47 Peel Street Ladywood, Bham

Any help?

Suzanne

Thanks Suzzane
Yes i had seem the census listing for the Family at peel Street

the confusing part is that the sam born in 1879 is my Grandad and his wife and children are know to me.
However I cannot find a brith certificare for him... I have from the GWGC a documet that says my grandads Parents were Samuel and Lucy but i cannot find a birth cert with thise parent on. I am fairly confident that Lucy is correct as his daughter is the same name but i can only find a Samuel and a Hester Cotteriill

I will keep looking anyway so thanks

Back