• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emily Street

stev1951

I was recently cleaning a stained glass window in a Victorian town house. It shows a cost of arms. The house is called Ellesmere House so might have a connection to the Duke of Ellesmere as many roads round here are Ellesmere Road, Crescent etc. In one small panel of glass, painted up side down is 'W.H. Perks 56 Emily Road Birmingham.' The 'k' in Perks is rather odd and maybe an 'm'. Has anyone any information about this person? Was there a stained glass business in the street at one time? The house could any time in the first three quarters of the Victorian era. Thank you.

i have moved this thread from forum rules to the correct section of the forum which is neighbours and streets..could you also clarify the name of the thread title please...you have put emily st but in your post you mention emily road...thanks

1904 Kelly's directory lists a William H Perks as an "artist in stained glass" but listed on Moseley Road. I can't connect to either Emily Road or Street at the moment

As the name is upside down I wonder if a piece of glass has been reused.
Perhaps it came from a house in Emily Street/Road?
Edited: Next post tells me this is a wrong guess

Last edited:
In Kellys 1892- 1903 William Perks, glass stainer 56 (back of) Emily St. In 1904 it is William Henry Perks, artist in stained glass, 72 Moseley Road.. One might think that the Henry was a son taking over the business, though v#cannot be sure.

Back