• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ellen Street School - air raids

• Thread starter Thread starter jannywanny
  • Start date Start date
J

jannywanny

Anyone know of any sites that will give me more info about the bombing on Ellen Street School in the Brookfields area in December of 1941 (I think)..

My gran whose maiden name was Turland lost various nephews and nieces in this raid... their names are remembered on the 'tree of life' memorial near the Bull Ring.

Janny

Ellen Street School

jannywanny; said:
Anyone know of any sites that will give me more info about the bombing on Ellen Street School in the Brookfields area in December of 1941 (I think).. Janny

I have images of the bombing of Ellen Street School if anyone is still interested.

4 Images Ellen Street War Damage

Not too sure if these are too large a file?

(Please see post #11)

Last edited by a moderator:
School destroyed by enemy action on the night of 11th December 1940

The school was rebuilt and opened in 1949.

Re: Ellen Street School

If you mean the images relating to the bomb damage at Ellen Street Schools PM me with your email address and I will forward them to you.

Will try Chris, but just lately have had problems uploading images to your site.

Images below show Bomb damage, Ellen Street Schools.

9046.0, taken from Pitsford Street.

9047.1 taken from George Street West. (building in the background, GWR bonded stores

7056.0 taken looking down Ellen Street towards GWR bonded stores, Ellen Street School on left, houses on right (both demolished)

Pitsford Street 14.12.1940 taken looking down Pitsford Street to Icknield Street.

Pitsford Street Blitz 9045.0 taken from inside the GWR buildings.​

Damage was caused by a land mine landing (probably) in Pitsford Street, between the school & GWR building.detonating a few feet above the ground.

Attachments

• Ellen St School 1941.9046-0.jpg
    Ellen St School 1941.9046-0.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 76
  • Ellen St School1941.9047-1.jpg
    Ellen St School1941.9047-1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Ellen Street 7506-0.jpg
    Ellen Street 7506-0.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Pitsford Street, blitz 1940s.9045-0.jpg
    Pitsford Street, blitz 1940s.9045-0.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Pitsford Street 14.12.1940.jpg
    Pitsford Street 14.12.1940.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 74
Re: Ellen Street School

Many thanks, send an IM.

I have removed your email for your security.

hi anthony for your own security it would be best if you removed your email address from the main forum and send it to dibb44 via a private message that way only he will know it..

lyn

If any mods can remove email address I would be very appreciative, thank you.

I have the posters email address.

Welcome to the Forum, Tony. The images are now also included in dib44's earlier post for all to see.

Do you have any additional knowledge on this subject which you could share with members? Family experiences perhaps?

Chris

Last edited:
Janny, I'm also a Turland, and my dad, uncle, aunt, nan and other family members were at the school when it was bombed [my should have been aunt Maureen, then aged 4, was killed].

Go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and enter 'Turland' - 'World War two' and 'Civilians' in search filters, it's a start.

Nick [aged 57]

hi nick according to the barra site apart from maureen there was also a hilda turland aged 30 and a john turland aged 4 that were killed..they have maureen down as aged 3 but of course the ages could have been put down wrongly.. all died on the 12.12.1940...how tragic

lyn

The family I have at CWGC site are all related to each other [and myself], and are buried at Witton Cemetery in Brum [just off M6].
Maureen aged 4 [buried with Grandfather],
John Alfred [4],
Margaret Victoria [34],
Alfred Ernest [35],
and Hilda Kate [30].

how sad that so many of the same family lost their lives nick...witton cem is just a few mins away from where i live...

lyn

The family I have at CWGC site are all related to each other [and myself], and are buried at Witton Cemetery in Brum [just off M6].
Maureen aged 4 [buried with Grandfather],
John Alfred [4],
Margaret Victoria [34],
Alfred Ernest [35],
and Hilda Kate [30].
We must be related Nick & Janny, those are my relatives too.
My grandmother was Lavinia, sister of Alfred Ernest (35). Does anyone have any idea why they were all at the school that night?

Back