• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

edward st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice pic of the parade edward st..not sure where this is...would anyone know....

cheers

Lyn
This must be it

edward_st_c1914.jpg

right guys
the good old cracking picture lyn as posted was indeedthe corner of edwards rd and the sanpitts which was just the botom of summer hill
and about 300 hundreds yards from the actual sand pitts which indeed is still there coming from the sandpitts you would be heading for the old city centre right next to the nd of thesand pitts was te big window and industreal cleaners
namely the london and midland cleaners whom was thre for many a donkey years and proccedd along for about 200 yards
you will come to that junction of edwars rd and the what was known as the parade which was the bottom of paradise street which later
in years it became and renamed summer hill hence the DHSS office is called summer hill which was formerly beaufort rd social offices
of edgbason and jst behnd theplough and harrow rd and hotel before moveing down to the summer hill
the shops onthe corner you are seing was a hardware shop he sold tools and machines and alsorts of gear ;
thats the first shop you see on the corner of edward stjust a little way up there in edward st about a 100 yards was the pcture house called the lryric
to us it was the three penny crush in the afternoon sessions and the six penny in the morning 10 oclock showing of flash gordon
coming back to the corner shop and next to it was the two shops together called the swop shop he had alsorts of gear in them two shops
incidently the two shops had been knocked into one huge shop
you name it alf ; was his name he had virtualy any think you wanted it was a very weared bizar shop he sold sweets as well
nfact we called it a jnk shop you had to fight your way into his shop to get to the counter he was a grubby man and very unkempt
just like his shop when the saving stamps of green sheilds started along with every other stamps for saving was onthe market
alfred hadevery kind you wanted he had people binging them into his shop for alsorts of things changing them for fags or food or sweets
what ever they could not afford to buyhis windows in both shops was heaveing fifty high in piles across his windows
he was the only trader around for miles whom was raking them in
he made a fortune but he was well known for being a rich old man he was little in statu he never trusted nobody only one lad
whom he befriended when the demo started for the parade and edward rd he moved and openend up another second hand swop shop
on winson green rd just down from the dudley rd police station and just yards from the shakespear pub on the corner of heath street
sadley alf died about 12 months of moving in the young man whom he befreinded him he left him the shop lock stock and barrel
which later became and called greens second hand shop but sadley after being open 3months the police called there more often
retreiving stolen goods and it was a on going thing in that area going back to the parade and edward st shops the next shop in view next to old alfie s shops was a autherised hercules bike shop dealer whom sold hercules bikes only and just after that shop where was a big gap
was a dirty oldpub with very little tiny windows in a wooden frame of little port hole windws and of a black dirty frame building where the paint nor the windows was ever cleaned in years if you go back to the corner of edward street and the corner shop
there was a little round about in the middle of the rd and facing that corner shop and edward street was a pub called the king edward pub
where we used to drink in there when we was young so of the lads from the area always poped in there even our dear old friend and
myold friend from many many years mossy used to occasinaly pop in with my old mate micky ; mossy knows which micky i am on about
so i will not put mcky surname since he as passed away afew years ag now but they was the days
it wascalled the parade and it was the botom of paradise street as it was in them days and it was all renamed in brum as summer hill district
it was classed as birmingham 1 ; and later birmingham 5, then later bi ; 16 ; best wishes to you all astonian

hi Again :o)
Its Amanda the new pest ! :o)
Ive been reading this thread but cannot seem to get the Picture spoken about ofthe Parade Edward Street ....................how do I do this please.
xx

hi amanda that pic of the parade is one that i posted and we lost it when the forum was hacked...later on today i will go through my files and see if i still have it...if so i will repost if for you unless any other members may have it in which case i would be grateful if they can post it for you..

lyn..

Hi Lyn, ( now i know how to address you),
I understand now, Ive been trying to click on the 'attatchments ' on the site, thinking maybe only select people can access them or maybe they expire.
So normally the pictures would be there for all to access would they ?
Amanda :o)

HI GUYS ;
I cannot beleive no one as heard or even new where edward st was ; it was the bottom end of king edwards rd ladywood as mike as printed the map ;
i could have said so if i had picked upp on this thread early it ran between the parade and king edwards rd ladywood ; king edwards rd is split into two
halfs that end now is the back of the icc centre broad street and facing sheepcote street
when coming out of edward street turn right you would continue down to the very botton and then you come to a cross rd which is monument rd
ladywood crossing the rd is what is known as the small king edwards rd go down there where i lived at 243 many years ago ;
butting back to the parade and edward street it had years ago a little dirty old pub ; and a picture house called the lyric
which was almost at the corner of the parade we all us natives of ladywood would go for the threepenny bitmorning crush as we called
it was abit of a flee pitts then the top end of edward st was a factory called raydex ; electrical components
whom made electric fire and electric sockets and plugs ;
my oldest brother ron was on the electric maintence there for many years i myself worked there because my brother got me the job when i left schol and he was paped i shilling and sixpence an hour i was on ten pence an hour for operating a capston machine those fashioned ones with he leather pulling power that motivative the machine ;
edward street as changed to moderen building no houses they have all gone the DVLA office now occupie where the raydex factory block used to be ;
that you to be on the corner of edward st and king edwards rd hill
there is a great big dirty island built there now on that corner and entraces to the icc car parks
the newby family lived down edward st before taking on the kings edward up behind was what was bingley hall years ago
they moved from there and went to a akinsonson house on spring hill a pub called the turf ; and then later moved to another big pub
on victoria rd aston ; astonian;;

Hi Lyn, ( now i know how to address you),
I understand now, Ive been trying to click on the 'attatchments ' on the site, thinking maybe only select people can access them or maybe they expire.
So normally the pictures would be there for all to access would they ?
Amanda :o)

hi amanda yes thats right..the images that you cant see were lost when the forum was hacked into some months back and we are trying to replace them as fast as we can providing of course that we saved them...

will get back to you later..hopefully with the missing pic...

lyn

Here is a photo of THE LYRIC picture house.It was on the corner of Edward St and Helena St,just around the corner from The Parade.

Attachments

• Edwards St.LYRIC. off The Parade..jpg
    Edwards St.LYRIC. off The Parade..jpg
    112 KB · Views: 21
HI GUYS ;
I cannot beleive no one as heard or even new where edward st was ; it was the bottom end of king edwards rd ladywood as mike as printed the map ;
i could have said so if i had picked upp on this thread early it ran between the parade and king edwards rd ladywood ; king edwards rd is split into two
halfs that end now is the back of the icc centre broad street and facing sheepcote street
when coming out of edward street turn right you would continue down to the very botton and then you come to a cross rd which is monument rd
ladywood crossing the rd is what is known as the small king edwards rd go down there where i lived at 243 many years ago ;
butting back to the parade and edward street it had years ago a little dirty old pub ; and a picture house called the lyric
which was almost at the corner of the parade we all us natives of ladywood would go for the threepenny bitmorning crush as we called
it was abit of a flee pitts then the top end of edward st was a factory called raydex ; electrical components
whom made electric fire and electric sockets and plugs ;
my oldest brother ron was on the electric maintence there for many years i myself worked there because my brother got me the job when i left schol and he was paped i shilling and sixpence an hour i was on ten pence an hour for operating a capston machine those fashioned ones with he leather pulling power that motivative the machine ;
edward street as changed to moderen building no houses they have all gone the DVLA office now occupie where the raydex factory block used to be ;
that you to be on the corner of edward st and king edwards rd hill
there is a great big dirty island built there now on that corner and entraces to the icc car parks
the newby family lived down edward st before taking on the kings edward up behind was what was bingley hall years ago
they moved from there and went to a akinsonson house on spring hill a pub called the turf ; and then later moved to another big pub
on victoria rd aston ; astonian;;
Hi Astonian, I have been reading your review about Edward Street, you mention a pub in that street, was it called the Kelsey, and which brewery owned it. I have been trying to look for a photo for ages and at present can't find one, would you happen to have a photo of it. regards Elaine Hemming.

Elaine
Astonian is marked under his name as "Gone but not forgotten" which means he has regrettably passed away

Elaine
Astonian is marked under his name as "Gone but not forgotten" which means he has regrettably passed away
So sorry to hear about Astonian, I have found his information very good, around Birmingham, My Symphony goes to his family. is there a possibility, that you may know the Pub he was talking about in Edward Street. regards Elaine.

There was an old pub called the Ivy Green Inn on Edward Street, Parade, Birmingham which dated back to at least the 1860s. Viv.

right guys
the good old cracking picture lyn as posted was indeedthe corner of edwards rd and the sanpitts which was just the botom of summer hill
and about 300 hundreds yards from the actual sand pitts which indeed is still there coming from the sandpitts you would be heading for the old city centre right next to the nd of thesand pitts was te big window and industreal cleaners
namely the london and midland cleaners whom was thre for many a donkey years and proccedd along for about 200 yards
you will come to that junction of edwars rd and the what was known as the parade which was the bottom of paradise street which later
in years it became and renamed summer hill hence the DHSS office is called summer hill which was formerly beaufort rd social offices
of edgbason and jst behnd theplough and harrow rd and hotel before moveing down to the summer hill
the shops onthe corner you are seing was a hardware shop he sold tools and machines and alsorts of gear ;
thats the first shop you see on the corner of edward stjust a little way up there in edward st about a 100 yards was the pcture house called the lryric
to us it was the three penny crush in the afternoon sessions and the six penny in the morning 10 oclock showing of flash gordon
coming back to the corner shop and next to it was the two shops together called the swop shop he had alsorts of gear in them two shops
incidently the two shops had been knocked into one huge shop
you name it alf ; was his name he had virtualy any think you wanted it was a very weared bizar shop he sold sweets as well
nfact we called it a jnk shop you had to fight your way into his shop to get to the counter he was a grubby man and very unkempt
just like his shop when the saving stamps of green sheilds started along with every other stamps for saving was onthe market
alfred hadevery kind you wanted he had people binging them into his shop for alsorts of things changing them for fags or food or sweets
what ever they could not afford to buyhis windows in both shops was heaveing fifty high in piles across his windows
he was the only trader around for miles whom was raking them in
he made a fortune but he was well known for being a rich old man he was little in statu he never trusted nobody only one lad
whom he befriended when the demo started for the parade and edward rd he moved and openend up another second hand swop shop
on winson green rd just down from the dudley rd police station and just yards from the shakespear pub on the corner of heath street
sadley alf died about 12 months of moving in the young man whom he befreinded him he left him the shop lock stock and barrel
which later became and called greens second hand shop but sadley after being open 3months the police called there more often
retreiving stolen goods and it was a on going thing in that area going back to the parade and edward st shops the next shop in view next to old alfie s shops was a autherised hercules bike shop dealer whom sold hercules bikes only and just after that shop where was a big gap
was a dirty oldpub with very little tiny windows in a wooden frame of little port hole windws and of a black dirty frame building where the paint nor the windows was ever cleaned in years if you go back to the corner of edward street and the corner shop
there was a little round about in the middle of the rd and facing that corner shop and edward street was a pub called the king edward pub
where we used to drink in there when we was young so of the lads from the area always poped in there even our dear old friend and
myold friend from many many years mossy used to occasinaly pop in with my old mate micky ; mossy knows which micky i am on about
so i will not put mcky surname since he as passed away afew years ag now but they was the days
it wascalled the parade and it was the botom of paradise street as it was in them days and it was all renamed in brum as summer hill district
it was classed as birmingham 1 ; and later birmingham 5, then later bi ; 16 ; best wishes to you all astonian
Great story, love reading stories on where my ancestors lived.

Hi Vivienne - my friend said there was a pub called the Kelsey on Edward Street on the corner, by King Edward Road, regards Elaine.
Hi, just seen this post, the Kelsey was , I believe, the Crescent Hill Tavern before it was the Kelsey. My mothers family ,the Stoddards were there in the 1930s, it was a brew house till Kelsey's took over. My aunt was a barmaid at the Kelsey in the 30s. Sadly we have no photos of it.

Back