• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edward Calloway

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D Beth, You really need to get hold of Ann's birth cert'... My Gt, Granddad Was born 1854, his father (My Gt, Gt Grandfather) died with out even seeing him as he was sailor in the RN. Then my Gt,Gt Grandma remarried a Mr Jubber and from 1861 census up until and including 1881 census Gt. Granddad was always down as 'Jubber born 1856'. Hope this is of some help to you 8)

Chris :)

Hi Beth, I also think you need to look at the original of the 1851 census. There are quite a few errors in the transcriptions.

Ann won't have a birth certificate will she, if her age on the census is correct, she was born about 1835.

I have checked the IGI and there is an Ann Downing born 25 December 1834, Christened 26 January 1835, St Martin's Birmingham. Father John Downing mother Mary.

I can't find a marriage for John and Mary, but there is a marriage for Mary Downing and Edward Calloway 20 April 1845 St Thomas Birmingham.
so it would seem that Mary married twice and Ann is the daughter of her frist marriage.

R

:D Hi Beth it's a small world :!:
Just as a point of interest it looks like we had relatives who worked for the same family.
... Ann Calloway servant 22 born Birmingham Sarah Spittle nurse w 54 born kings Norton...
I came across your post on another forum while looking for my Spittles.

:)

Hi Beth

John Downing Married Mary Powers 18 July 1815, St Peter and St Pauls Aston.

There are a lot of children born to an Edward Calloway and Ann all christened at St Martins. I wonder if this is your Susannah with her name shortened. I have a Hannah shortened to Ann, and Roseanna sometimes called Ann. It might be worth checking out. :D

Back