• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edith Holden

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Yesterday I spent a few hours reading my old copy of The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady by local girl Edith Holden, purchased 1977. She only lived 3 miles up the Road from me in a house called Gowan Bank in Olton, when she was around. A fascinating and talented Brummie that deserves a Muntz Medal for nature for sure.

Excerpt from her life story. "Edith Blackwell Holden (1871-1920) was a British artist and art teacher, known in her time as an illustrator of children's books. Much influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement, she specialized in painting animals and plants. Holden was made famous by the posthumous publication, in 1977, of her "Nature Notes for 1906" under the title The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady. She was living in Kineton Green Road, Olton, Solihull in 1905-6 when she recorded the notes The collection of seasonal observations, poetry, and pictures of birds, plants, and insects, which was never even considered for publication when it was composed, has the nostalgic charm of a vanished world seven decades later. It was a best seller.

Edith's mother, a Unitarian, was Emma Wearing, a former governess who wrote two religious books, Ursula's Childhood and Beatrice of St. Mawse, published by theSociety for Promoting Christian Knowledge. Her father, also a Unitarian, was Arthur Holden, owner of a factory in Birmingham and a philanthropist. Edith's middle name honoured the pioneer woman physician, Elizabeth Blackwell, also a Unitarian and the Holdens' cousin. The Holden family attended the Birmingham Labour Church.

There were four girls and two boys in the Holden family. Edith and her sisters were given their early education at home. Three of the girls, Edith, Violet, and Evelyn, later received scholarships for their study at the Birmingham School of Art. The two younger, Violet and Evelyn, became illustrators. They collaborated on The Real Princess, published in 1894, and The House That Jack Built, 1895. Effie, the oldest, went to Sweden to study the Arts and Crafts movement. Edith continued her studies with painter Joseph Adam at the Craigmill Art School in Scotland.

During the 1906-09 school years Edith Holden taught at the Solihull School for Girls. She fashioned her "Nature Notes for 1906" as a model for her students' work. Then, like her younger sisters, Holden became an illustrator. She illustrated four volumes, 1907-10, of The Animal's Friend, a magazine of the National Council for Animals' Welfare, and a number of children's books, including The Three Goats Gruff. Her paintings were often exhibited from 1890-1907 by the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, and by the Royal Academy of Arts in 1907 and 1917.

In 1911 Edith Holden married Ernest Smith, a sculptor who became principal assistant to Countess Feodora Gleichen. At the Countess's studio in St. James Palace the Smiths associated with leading artists like Sir George Frampton, sculptor of the statue of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, and royal visitors such as King Faisal of Arabia. Meanwhile, Edith continued her career as an illustrator.

This much is known about the nine years of her married life, until her death.

On Tuesday, 16th March 1920, she was found drowned in a backwater of the River Thames, near Kew Gardens Walk.On the prior Monday morning Edith had complained to Ernest of a headache, but this was not uncommon and the matter had not been dwelt on. The main subject at breakfast had been the impending visit of some friends for Easter, to which Edith was looking forward. Ernest left for the studio at St. James's Palace and Edith said that she would probably go down to the rivr later to see the University crews practising.

When Ernest returned home that evening his wife was out but the table had been laid for the evening meal, and Ernest assumed that she was with friends. It was not until the next morning that he learned the truth. Her body had been found at six o' clock on the Tuesday morning. The inquest established that she had tried to reach a branch of chestnut buds. The bough was out of reach and with the aid of her umbrella Edith had tried to break it off, fallen forward into the river and drowned. What a waste....what a girl...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou Dennis, I for one didn't realise Edith Holden was a Birmingham wench!

Hi Dennis: Thanks for posting about Edith Holden. I have a copy of her Diary with all the illustrations which I treasure. The BBC did a documentary on her life several years ago. The drawings in her diary are so beautiful as she captured the natural things around her as she went on her walks and captured them so perfectly. Such a sad end to her life.

I have this book as well and didn't realise Edith was born in Olton my sister in law has lived there over 50 years. What a talented lady who had such a sad end which I also didn't know about. Thank you very much Dennis for bringing this lovely ladies work and history to our attention. I am going to have a look at the book now. I have changed the thread title as well.

Re: Some great men of Birmingham..

Re: Edith Holden & family...

Hello Dennis,
I know this was an old post - but I had to respond...
I have been studying the Holden family for some time now, and found most of the information online is repeated - and often with inaccuracies. Ina Taylor's biography is pretty good - and the old TV mini-series was quite detailed, but there is much more to this fascinating Birmingham family than meets the eye - or was ever publicised - at the height of Edith's fame in the 70's & 80's, at least.
Tonight I have posted a new thread which may interest you - in the New Books/CD's category - all about my new book on the 'real' Edith Holden and her family...
not sure if this link will work...https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41950

Carl Chinn interviewed me about the book, recently on his Sunday show, and it has had some excellent reviews.

Do let me know what you think...

Cheers - Karl

Hi Karl...thanks for the heads up on Elizabeth and your new book- which is absolutely splendid for us Brummie amateur Histtorians...great read, and most interesting story....sorry I took so long to reply...just getting old now!

Hi Karl...your new book- which is absolutely splendid for us Brummie amateur Historians...great read, and most interesting story...

Hello Dennis,
thank you for your reply - and comments.

I'm guessing you now have a copy of The Edwardian Afterlife Diary of Emma Holden ?
Either way - glad you like it,

As it turns out, the paperbacks have nearly all gone !
Am working hard on the e-book, which is set to replace it for now, until I can get a new paper edition ready for next year...!
Perhaps I should come to Brum and hold a talk on the family and their spooky activities !!

Best wishes
Karl

Back