• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eccles family guildford street

gibbo1958

master brummie
Does anyone recall the Eccles family from 75 guildford street. 1930 to 1950 Alfred Eccles is said to have played the accordian in the Guildford Arms. Their children were june, joyce sheila and larry.
I Beileve they went to lozells street school or alma st .
many thanks Dave

I lived in Guildford Street then and knew a David Eccles but I seem to remember him living somewhere liks Bridge Street West

I Beleive larry moved to king edwards road in ladywod birmingham18 in the part of the fifty sevens years until the cleareance of lady wood he had a big gangester style car a big black humber with a white shared rim of white it was a very big one
just like alcope car he had a couple of nippers at the time
astonian

Hi, Yes I am related to the Eccles family, my mother (Elsie) and Gertie Eccles were sisters, June,Joyce, Sheila & larry are my cousins. I am Iris, I am 82yrs. Laurence was 6months younger than me. The girls June & Joyce had red hair like their mother Gertie.
Are any of them still alive, lost touch when Aunty Gertie died.

Dear Iris im grateful for your reply . we are related then as joyce was my mother as yes she did have red hair . sadly none of your cousins are still alive .sheila died of cancer in the 80s she had 7 children , larry spent time in and out of prison . he died in the 90s. My mom Joyce died 2002 heart attack she had married a Alan Cope had 1 child who died at 2 weeks she left Alan met my dad had 6 more children . june died 2005 had 2 children Alfred my grandad Gertie husband spent many years in all saints lodge road . he died in 1975 . i did family tree and im in touch with a joan eccles who joinedthe w. r .a. f during he war she is 91 .
i would love to hear any stories about the family my home email is gibbo1958@yahoo.com and my home address is 25 , hele gardens plympton plymouth pl7 1ju . can you tell me more about Gerties brother and sisters iwas told that it was one of the Brookes who disigned the fairy washing up liquid logo also the m&B pub sign the deer leaping over the hedge
i dont have many photos of my mom when she was young or my grandparents as they were distroyed in a house fire many years ago .
im so glad you contacted me . please keep in touch
p.s who did your mom marry if you dont mind me asking as im doing the family tree
yrs Dave Gibson

i dont think we are on about same larry . as the larry i traced nver married and was often in trouble with the law . many thanks for reply

Hi, Yes I am related to the Eccles family, my mother (Elsie) and Gertie Eccles were sisters, June,Joyce, Sheila & larry are my cousins. I am Iris, I am 82yrs. Laurence was 6months younger than me. The girls June & Joyce had red hair like their mother Gertie.
Are any of them still alive, lost touch when Aunty Gertie died.
sent you reply hope you got it ok

Back