• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

durolux paints ltd george street west

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI Guys
i am looking for information on the old durolux paint office and ware houseing suppies on the junction of george street west
and its ware housing that went up the side of rosemary pasage which was opersite st peters church on the george street west and close to springhill
if i recal it ; it did have a sereies of steps to walk up into the office section and also may iasked is there any member eiher worked there
or even lived up any of the series of avenues that was up rosemary passage i did at one time knew a couple of the familys in he 1950 --60-s
or as anybody got a picture of this remarkable building especialy the office block ;
many thanks for your valuable time ; Astonian;; alan ;;

Alan can you confirm the spelling please as though I can find a Duralux and a Dulux I cannot find a Durolux?

HI Guys
i am looking for information on the old durolux paint office and ware houseing suppies on the junction of george street west
and its ware housing that went up the side of rosemary pasage which was opersite st peters church on the george street west and close to springhill
if i recal it ; it did have a sereies of steps to walk up into the office section and also may iasked is there any member eiher worked there
or even lived up any of the series of avenues that was up rosemary passage i did at one time knew a couple of the familys in he 1950 --60-s
or as anybody got a picture of this remarkable building especialy the office block ;
many thanks for your valuable time ; Astonian;; alan ;;

I don't remember the company called 'Durolux'. I do remember 'THe Walpamur Paint co' based in George St West opposite St Peters church.

The passage that ran alongside was Roseberry passage. Immediately behind Walpamur was a company that did castings. Opposite to this factory was a row of houses where a friend of mine (Paul Evans) lived.

Confirm Bob's post, Kelly's Directory 1949, Walpamur Co. Ltd., paint manufacturers and it's Roseberry Passage.

Colin

hi paul
the frontage of the ware house was right next to the passage of rosemary passage it would not have gone all the way up rosmary passage
it was orinionaly dulux paint then changing walpamur paint on the front entrance to the office which was just before the ajoining ware housing
the sign said dulux paints that i do know ;the sign for walpamur was across the head of the ware house department and that part of the comany was facing the church dirict in line wih the vestory where the vicar lived ; Astonian ps ; the dulux came later in years but yes the both names was on the building complex

Last edited:
Back