• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dudley Road Hospital 1929

EMF

Brummie babby
My grandmother was from Cork, and married in a church in cork, but I recently found her marriage certificate that stated she was 'resident' in Dudley Road hospital at this time. She may have been there as a trainee nurse. or as a patient, we are not sure. Has anyone seen this before? She was married in 1929. I am trying to find out if there were any links between Dudley Road hospital and Cork as no-one in the family has an idea why she went there. She never mentioned it to anyone later.

hi emf...as far as i know there is no connection unless of course resident means your grandmother was maybe a resident at the workhouse hospital at dudley road...could we see her marriage cert please as it may help..and did she come back to birmingham to live after her marriage..any extra info you can give may help in including her name and when born

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn, under 'resident' column it just says Dudley Rd Hospital, Birmingham.
She might have been in the workhouse but I thought by 1929 the workhouse was closed in Dudley Rd - is that correct?
she got married in Cork and stayed there. By best guess is that she was resident having a child, or possibly a trainee nurse. she told some family members she had been a nurse in the past but no-one knows if this is actually true. We dont now much about her life. thanks for your help and prompt reply

My grandmother was from Cork, and married in a church in cork, but I recently found her marriage certificate that stated she was 'resident' in Dudley Road hospital at this time. She may have been there as a trainee nurse. or as a patient, we are not sure. Has anyone seen this before? She was married in 1929. I am trying to find out if there were any links between Dudley Road hospital and Cork as no-one in the family has an idea why she went there. She never mentioned it to anyone later.
You might be interested in having a read through the forum thread below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/archway-of-tears.37926/post-582305

Thanks Lyn, under 'resident' column it just says Dudley Rd Hospital, Birmingham.
She might have been in the workhouse but I thought by 1929 the workhouse was closed in Dudley Rd - is that correct?
she got married in Cork and stayed there. By best guess is that she was resident having a child, or possibly a trainee nurse. she told some family members she had been a nurse in the past but no-one knows if this is actually true. We dont now much about her life. thanks for your help and prompt reply
well in that case she may well have been a nurse at the hospital...pretty sure the workhouse was still open in 1929..as she stayed in cork after getting married we wont be able to trace her on the birmingham records

lyn

If a name is provided we can see if she appears on the nursing register around that time. (That would, obviously, be her maiden name).

well in that case she may well have been a nurse at the hospital...pretty sure the workhouse was still open in 1929..as she stayed in cork after getting married we wont be able to trace her on the birmingham records

lyn
are there workhouse records I could search?

are there workhouse records I could search?
we believe very few if any workhouse records survive but you could contact the library of birmingham to confirm this..just out of interest was your grandmother actually born in ireland

lyn

we believe very few if any workhouse records survive but you could contact the library of birmingham to confirm this..just out of interest was your grandmother actually born in ireland

lyn
yes she was born in Ireland - do you think there is any significance to that? I think there was some link between Cork and Dudley road hospital, possibly in nursing training schemes - or maybe the workhouse - because I have found someone else from the same part of Ireland who also came to Dudley Rd around the same time. Maybe the local RC church was involved - the church dominated in all aspects of Irish society in the 1920s. would be grateful if anyone knows of any connection.

yes she was born in Ireland - do you think there is any significance to that? I think there was some link between Cork and Dudley road hospital, possibly in nursing training schemes - or maybe the workhouse - because I have found someone else from the same part of Ireland who also came to Dudley Rd around the same time. Maybe the local RC church was involved - the church dominated in all aspects of Irish society in the 1920s. would be grateful if anyone knows of any connection.
hi emf as you can see janice has asked for the name of your grandmother..no problem if you do not wish to tell us but..maiden and married names could prove useful and her year of birth...without them i cant see us going any further forward..it would all be purely guess work

lyn

hi emf as you can see janice has asked for the name of your grandmother..no problem if you do not wish to tell us but..maiden and married names could prove useful and her year of birth...without them i cant see us going any further forward..it would all be purely guess work

lyn
Thanks but I wont be making their names public - it is still a very personal family story. I was just hoping someone might have a similar story or know some of the general information am looking for. thanks for your help.

Speculating - I can only think of 3 reasons to be at Dudley Road Hospital or Workhouse - an inmate of the workhouse, a patient in hospital (having a baby maybe) or training/being a nurse.

I wouldn't think that if it was either of the first 2 you would list it as your address which leaves just the nurse. Did she stay in Ireland after her marriage or come back to Bham?

Speculating - I can only think of 3 reasons to be at Dudley Road Hospital or Workhouse - an inmate of the workhouse, a patient in hospital (having a baby maybe) or training/being a nurse.

I wouldn't think that if it was either of the first 2 you would list it as your address which leaves just the nurse. Did she stay in Ireland after her marriage or come back to Bham?
mark ive asked that question and she stayed in cork after getting married

lyn

Back