• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone remember the Bacchus Bar?

Mike, I think it was called The Burlington, the Heathfield 90th Scouts used to have our annual reunion meal there. But I am going back to the middle 1970s so thats 50 years back.

mike maybe they mean historic because the baccus bar is based in the old midland hotel which i believe has its own supply of water

Looks like 'Bacchus Crypt' on the glass. What an incredible place. Amazed this was underneath the Midland/Burlington. Maybe it was once a wine cellar ?

Yes, it was accessed from the arcade beneath the hotel. It had some Egyptian type pillars in there if I remember, it's been 20+ years since I drank in Brum but it was a decent enough place

I was there with three of my friends a few months ago. I have been there many times over the years (I think it has been there for at least 20 years). It can be a bit busy at times, but is somewhere that you can get a seat, have a conversation and be easily heard. It is much larger than you might anticipate and there is plenty of space. It also seems lighter than it was, following it's re-opening.

It is underneath The Burlington Hotel and can be reached by stairs, either by walking through the covered passageway from New Street and down the main stairs (the stairs to the Bacchus Bar are to the left at the bottom of the main stairs that lead to Stephenson Street*). There is also a lift as an alternative to the stairs to the left, after entering from Stephenson Street (before the main stairs) and outside the hotel entrance on the right (again before the main stairway, the bar is on the lowest level), when entering from the New Street passageway. There is also a lift within the bar, I assume there is still) for those with mobility issues, as an alternative to using the three or four wooden steps that are within the bar (around 10 foot from the entrance). Below 1 - Stairs leading to the bar see * above, 2 - The bar, 3-6 inside the bar.

1723292384980.png 1723292563713.png 1723292860922.png 1723292922435.png 1723292989011.png 1723293238274.png

A top bar. Grand high ceilings with a very unique decor and ambience. I believe it's been the Bacchus bar since at least the late 90's but I may be wrong. It always seems a little under staffed / slow bar service whenever I've been. Oh and can be a pain if you've planned to meet someone that's running late/cancelled as it's impossible to get a phone signal due to its underground location! Well worth a visit though.

P.s I would love to know the full history of this. As said it may have been a cellar for the hotel at one point but would love to know.

According to this description of the hotel in 1874, the cellars were 'very capacious' and were intended for the storage of wines etc.

I shall post the full extract on the Midland Hotel thread

Screenshot_20240810_164927_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

The Bacchus would have been in the cellar Mike. The Iron Horse was at street level. Went in there quite a few times. Nice atmosphere (talking 1970s)

Last edited:
Back