• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone have any information, pictures of Austin street nechells B7 in the 1940s?

Decka

Brummie babby
Does anyone have any information picture's of Austin Street nechells B7 from the 1940s? My grandmother lived at number 17

A little later but this was posted to another site and it's labelled Austin St, I think from Nechells Park Road end...

Austin St.jpg

Does anyone have any information picture's of Austin Street nechells B7 from the 1940s? My grandmother lived at number 17
My grandmother lived at number 13 until it was compulsory purchased and demolished. I’ll try and dig some out from my Mum. Anything in particular you’d like to know? Mum has some stories especially during the war.

hi annice welcome...anything your mom could add in the way of memories or photos would be fantastic...many thanks

lyn

The Siege of Austin Street​

Events in Nechells have rarely attracted the attention of the national news media, but in 1961, the then vicar of St. Clement's, the Rev. Elwyn Evans, was called upon by police to assist them in negotiating with a man who had fired an air rifle from the window of his house in Austin Street. According to the Sunday Telegraph, 500 people had watched the police try to arrest the man who had effectively laid siege to the street. The Rev. Evans eventually persuaded the man to give himself up and accompanied the unemployed man as he surrendered to the police. It was reported that Rev. Evans, who served in Nechells from 1952-64, had been taking a bath when the police arrived at his vicarage on Stanley Road.

.kiddle.co

Last edited:
Back