• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Do you remember your Lollipop Man/Lady?

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
 :angel: Do you remember your Lollipop person ???(Gone all PC :2funny:)

My Mom was a Lollipop lady  :police: in the 1960's. She worked two crossings, during her time in the job. One was the bottom of Gt Lister St,  NR' the junction of Oliver St and the other was Chester Rd, Orphanage Rd Junction Pype Hayes. She wore a White Waterproof Mac, Black Welligogs, Black Gloves and a Black beret. She was a real tarter if the kids played around crossing the road :knuppel2:, she would send them back and make them wait longer to cross again :tickedoff:.

Chris :angel:

Not my Mom, but this is what she looked like in uniform...

Last edited:
Chris - yes I can remember my Lollipop Lady too - cause she was my MUM too!! :0)

My mum did the crossings in Nechells on the main Road when we lived in Nechells in late 1960's (cause I was at St Matthews school when she did it there. Then Later on would have been early 1970's through to Mid 1970's my mum did Jenkin Street and Dixon Road Crossings Small Heath till we moved from Bolton Road when houses were demolished in about 1975/76 time.

No matter what the weather - my mum stood watching out for all the children and made sure everyone got safely to school etc.. :0) Must have been a tough job with all the weather in winter etc.. :mad:

:angel: 'The Forum Ghost' has turned my picture around, must admit it's the right way now though :2funny:

Elizabeth, yes Mom was out in all weathers too, there was a starting point (a reporting point) at or near Bloomsbury 'Cop Shop' for the local 'Lollipop's 'where they all met up and chatted, so may be our Mothers knew each other.

Chris - you may be right - my mum used to know everyone in the "trade" ha ha and all the Police officers etc.. from the areas.

My mum loved it as a job as she knew all the children and parents in the area etc.. and it was perfect for fitting around school holidays etc.. when we were all growing up at home. ;)

My mum would never have changed having done that job as she loved it so much. :smitten:

Now when do you think Lollypop persons ( PC) first appeared on the scene ?

Well Cromwell - my mum was doing it in the 1960's (I began school about 1968 ish?) and my mum was doing it when I first went to school - so it must be before then I am sure.

I don't think there were too many cars on the roads when my mum and dad went to school in Birmingham in the 1950's - so I think around the 1960's - probably nearer the mid 1960's.

My logic is telling me that the kids had country lanes etc.. to walk to school before Birmingham got built up so much.

I bet I am wrong though?? ;D

:angel: They were introduced in 1953, just after I'd started school at the end of 1952 Crommie mate.
I know because my Mom told me that years ago and she was ALWAYS RIGHT I can tell you! :2funny:

I'll give ya that Chris. on rechecking mines got 4 lollipops on a stick :2funny:

:angel: Just found this...

Police once helped pupils to cross

_39147916_police_wandsworth203.jpg

LOLLIPOP LADIES
Despite so few cars, the UK had 5,000+ road deaths in 1950s -1,500 more than today (2003)
Wardens were introduced in 1953, responsible to police
Most were married women and retired men...

Why does a Lollipop person have a black band across the lollipop?
I do know by the way

Cromwell, I think some of our friends are missing the point of your question when did Lollipop person (PC) first appear. PC -Politically Correct is the clue - how I hate everything to do with it.

Crossing duty was a police constable chore in the Forties when I started school. I think they enjoyed it and often you would see a policeman walking across the road joking with the kids and holding their hands. Of course we were much more respectful of the police force in those days. They were more respectful of the general public too. Our constable lived on Letsby Avenue.
Regards.

Back