• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

discharge papers

OtherHalf

posher half
Hi all thanks to a members help now have discharge papers for Ernest Hadfield.... like most things it sheds some light on the subject but also raises a couple of questions ...at the top of the page there is an official stamp dated sep 27 1914 ? just below is another stamp dated 5 oct 1915 ?any ideas thought it unusual but might be wrong his enlistment date was 23/ 7 /191second time

Last edited:
this is an entrance medical form for a reveservist, (previous soldier), and he is discharched as not being able to be an efficiant soldier, the discharge is dated november 1915. It looks like he was once a soldier and has tried to re enlist but failed the medical, try to get hold of his medal card, or discharge to the reserves docs and this will give his full military career.

Thanks Paul there is a little bit of confusion over Ernest he apparently served in India so would be a reservist ? but our documentation... army records ...show him as enlisting twice ? once for 65 days and once for 4 months nothing else... and yet there is a service medal belonging to Ernest ?

If he was in India then he would be a reservist, and would have had meadals (north west frontier) I suspect, I feel in this case he was medicaly discharged from the army, war came, patronisum took over and he tried desperatly to re-enlist but still failed the medical on two occassions very sad for him, but I feel a greatful familey.

Thanks Paul you may be right the fact he enlisted twice even on rejection on medical grounds says a lot for his character however we do know of some history as regards India but can not find anything at this time am trying to get picture of service medal etc to clear things up thanks for input ,,Tom

Last edited:
Back